Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #1

Share |

Anchor pergola to existing patio

I want to anchor a vinyl pergola (using 4 x 4 pressure treated posts) to an existing patio. The patio consists of 15 3/4" x 7 5/8" brick pavers with perimeter bricks mortared in place and the rest of the bricks locked with polymer sand (spaced at 1/4") all laid over a concrete pad in excellent shape. The concrete pad is about 2 1/2" thick and the brick pavers are 1 3/4". The patio measures 12' x 12' and the pergola is 10' x 10'. I am planning to use a bolt down bracket system but want to anticipate any problems in doing so.

Last edited by Fotini; 06-08-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typos
Fotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Architect

Anchor pergola to existing patio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotini View Post
I want to anchor a vinyl pergola (using 4 x 4 pressure treated posts) to an existing patio. The patio consists of 15 3/4" x 7 5/8" brick pavers with perimeter bricks mortared in place and the rest of the bricks locked with polymer sand (spaced at 1/4") all laid over a concrete pad in excellent shape. The concrete pad is about 2 1/2" thick and the brick pavers are 1 3/4". The patio measures 12' x 12' and the pergola is 10' x 10'. I am planning to use a bolt down bracket system but want to anticipate any problems in doing so.
I would be concerned about the bricks shifting due to the loads, specifically the wind load or other lateral forces. Additionally, those brick pavers are probably died concrete, but the PSI of them is unknown. I wouldn't trust them to hold the pergola.

Instead, I would remove the pavers in the location of the 4x4 column and bolt down to the concrete slab. Most off the shelf brackets have a stud or threaded rod on the bottom and are made to be set in wet concrete. You can accomplish a similiar bond with expansion anchors, or better yet epoxy setting the stud into the slab.

One area of caution. The slab below the pavers seems thin. At only 2.5" thick, I don't know how much bite you will get out of either of the two methods described above.

It would be best to core the slab and install a small pier footing under the pergola which will allow you to wet set the bracket and this will give you the best solution for lateral loads. By pouring the pier a few inches above the brick paver level, it will additionally give you a nice clean curb to piece the pavers back in for a nice clean finish.

jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jcarlilesiu For This Useful Post:
Fotini (06-08-2012)