Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #1

Share |

Anchor eyebolts to concrete for heavy load

Hope this question isn't too unrelated, but I'm making a suspension trainer exercise system in my small condo and I need some advice that might prevent personal injury.

I'm thinking to mount a couple of eyebolts up in a concrete support beam from which I'd suspend a couple of climbing ropes, each of which would be able to support at least 1/2 my weight (80 lbs each) at 90 degrees, and less weight at angles of say 20-30 degrees. That would be the minimum, but I'd like the anchoring to be as strong as possible for greatest safety margin.

Would that be feasible? (If not, pls suggest something else!)

The question is what size eyebolts to use and what kind of anchor (wedge expansion anchor?). And then, where can I buy exactly what I need? Guy at Home Depot just showed me some lead anchors, which would seem too weak.

Tnx!

GrantPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:03 AM   #2

First, which way will the bolts be installed? Horizontally, or vertically? That makes a huge difference. I assume vertically, so you are not scraping the wall when you are climbing. Yes? Secondly, whatever you decide to do, go larger than anyone tells you. You're talking pennies difference.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

I'd be aprehensive to drill into a reinforced concrete beam on a condo/shared property. At least I wouldn't recommend going more than 1.5" deep or so for fear of damaging any steel reinforcement.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
Willie T (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #4

IF you're bound to do this, consider well the liability,,, then there's 2 strengths to consider - 1st is pullout ( straight loads ) & 2nd's shear ( figure the bolt is horizontal into a vertical surface & the load is suspended from it ),,, IF you drill & hit rebar, move hole(s) to miss bar(s).
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Twice it has been brought to your attention that this is not a good idea. Disregarding any issues of safety, (and there are many), you need to first consider the condominium documents you or your parents signed.

It is almost unheard of that you would be allowed to do something like this. So, doing such alterations would probably put you squarely in violation of the rules (laws) of the association.

Go to the Board first, and ask if you will be allowed to do anything like this. I think your answer will be a resounding "No!".

Last edited by Willie T; 04-05-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #6

Thanks for your replies so far.

@jklingel

The eyebolts would be mounted horizontally into the beam (sorry, should have specified). As you point out, there would be not much clearance, so care would be taken to avoid much contact between the ropes and the beam. There is no wall under the beam because the beam is between the room and the balcony.

So most of the force will be vertical on horizontally mounted eyebolts.

@Willie T

I totally agree this isn't desirable, but the beam just the only possible place. Actually the condo association doesn't have any problem with the idea, as the beam is really huge. In fact, owners commonly bolt their air conditioners onto the beam.

However, I won't try it if the consensus is that the anchored eyebolts would be too weak for the job.

OK, hoping for some more replies, thank you.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:42 AM   #7

Horizontally. OK. Now for the preface: I am not an engineer, and if you follow my advice you WILL be hurt or die. So, make your call. Now for the advice: If you drill into the cement chunk 3" and anchor a lead head, or something similar, made of about 1/2" steel, then put epoxy in the remainder of the hole flush to the original face of the concrete, you and all your buddies can climb on the same rope. If you have a non-forged eye bolt (bent, so there is a gap at the end of the bent part, if that makes sense; typical eye bolt) ensure that the gap is UP. That way, your rope can't possibly fray on the gap and it will be a tad stronger. Wear a helmet and shoulder/knee pads, too; slips happen. I am confident that a 1/4" eye bolt will hold you, but the price/hassle difference is trivial compared to your safety. Right? Drill on, dude!
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:39 AM   #8
Experienced

Here it is

McMaster Carr Part #'s

2 - 3014T254 1/2" Threaded Eye Bolt w Shoulder
2 - 1/2" washers
2 - 97045A033 Wedge Anchors for Concrete

Requires a 5/8" hole 3" deep

See McMaster Carr catalog for installation instructions.

Mark
Old 04-06-2011, 04:12 AM   #9

any 3/8" wedge/lock lag & lead shield will work - need more than 5,000# shear strength ? you can buy 'em at the apron/vest stores - http://www.itwredhead.com/redselec02.asp

you won't die, either well, not from the eyebolt failure, anyway mc master/carr's good but your apron/vest place is easier to find & you probably already know where it is
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #10

Appreciate the replies, got exactly what I needed. Good forum here! OK, I'm gonna do it.

Next post from hospital bed.