Anchor 4x4 Post To Cement Pier - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Anchor 4x4 Post to Cement Pier

Hi All,

The side entry steps & landing of my recently purchased house need to be replaced. It consists of 2 stairs and a 3' by 4' landing all PTL. I noticed that the existing 4x4 posts are buried about 5 or 6 inches in the ground before they come to rest on the cement piers. To say it another way, the cement piers are 5 or 6 inches below grade. I've been racking my brain trying to think of the best way to deal with this (anchoring new 4x4 posts to concrete pier) as I get ready to frame this out with PTL. I was thinking about using Simpson Strong-tie anchor ABU44 (or something similar), but I'm concerned about the anchor rusting out. Can some folks share how they would deal with this?

Thanks

Advertisement

ulrichfolkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichfolkers View Post
Hi All,

The side entry steps & landing of my recently purchased house need to be replaced. It consists of 2 stairs and a 3' by 4' landing all PTL. I noticed that the existing 4x4 posts are buried about 5 or 6 inches in the ground before they come to rest on the cement piers. To say it another way, the cement piers are 5 or 6 inches below grade. I've been racking my brain trying to think of the best way to deal with this (anchoring new 4x4 posts to concrete pier) as I get ready to frame this out with PTL. I was thinking about using Simpson Strong-tie anchor ABU44 (or something similar), but I'm concerned about the anchor rusting out. Can some folks share how they would deal with this?

Thanks
Use Simpson post connector you can purchase in any store. You will also need a sleeve anchor to attach the connector to concrete.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Greg24k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg24k For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #3

Do you think I need to be concerned about this rusting over time?
Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 528

Nope.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #5

Thanks......
Old 05-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,508

Quote:
Do you think I need to be concerned about this rusting over time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by framer52 View Post
Nope.
That's assuming OP doesn't live on the Coast.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
That's assuming OP doesn't live on the Coast.
Correct.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,148

the type of achor greg posted is the cats meow. honestly. they have more than enough strength and the void at the bottom creates an air space so the bottom of the post itself can dry out
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
the type of achor greg posted is the cats meow. honestly. they have more than enough strength and the void at the bottom creates an air space so the bottom of the post itself can dry out
It should be noted it's also considerably more expensive than other, simpler post connectors.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Is the post to remain in contact with the ground?
That is, will be buried also?

Andy.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,508

I’ve used those a few times.

There easy and it’s nice they hold you off the ground and yes there pricey but when do you use them anyway???

When your building something off a slab, as an afterthought, as a way to connect something that wasn’t designed to be there in the first place.

I’ll bet that at least half the time their used there should be a footing under that slab that doesn’t exist.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,032

if you are concerned about rusting you could purchase those in stainless steel. certainly cost more.

I think Andy was bringing up the fact that if you are going to bury the 4x4's in the ground make sure your pressure treated posts are rated for ground contact and not normal pressure treated. ground contact gets more treatment than normal pressure treated.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
Is the post to remain in contact with the ground?
That is, will be buried also?

Andy.
Yes, about 5 or 6 inches of the 4x4 will be buried. I was thinking about putting some gravel around the 4x4, to provide a bit more drainage.

I was surprised to find the cement column (pier) below grade. Was this a common practice at one time in the past?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
if you are concerned about rusting you could purchase those in stainless steel. certainly cost more.

I think Andy was bringing up the fact that if you are going to bury the 4x4's in the ground make sure your pressure treated posts are rated for ground contact and not normal pressure treated. ground contact gets more treatment than normal pressure treated.
Good call about the ground contact PTL. I believe I'm looking for .60 treated vs .40 treated?

You're right about the stainless steel anchors. I'll check to see how much more they are.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Yes, about 5 or 6 inches of the 4x4 will be buried. I was thinking about putting some gravel around the 4x4, to provide a bit more drainage.

I was surprised to find the cement column (pier) below grade. Was this a common practice at one time in the past?
Replacing the 5-6 inches of soil with gravel is a good idea. It will definitely reduce the amount of moisture that portion of the post is subjected to. However, it's much better to just extend the pier to above ground at least 4 inches.

As for why the pier was not poured to above ground...aesthetics. It's looks neater having the post come out of the ground than to have a concrete pier protruding 4-6 inches above ground. Also, it's cheaper--less concrete. It's a bad call, IMO. Eventually, that wood will deteriorate and fail--even if it's PT rated for underground use, or cedar. When? Who knows. Maybe 10 years; maybe 30. Depends on a number of factors. Keeping wood from direct contact with soil makes a drastic difference in the lifespan of the wood.

Advertisement

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote