Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 10
Default

American Craftsman VS Simington windows?


I am replacing my existing windows - I don't plan on being here longer than 6 more years. But I want a decent window for the money. I've narrowed my choices down to American Craftsman and Simington - the AC's are less expensive. My question is if anyone knows about AC quality - are they built well? I'm on a budget, but if paying more for the Simingtons would be better in the long run, I might end up doing that.

Not sure if this should be in a different subforum.

Roddy Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
mtm
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 24
Rewards Points: 10
Default

American Craftsman VS Simington windows?


Never heard of Simington so can't offer advice on that one. American Craftsman are a crap brand made exclusively for the Home Depot. They were made by a company called Silverline, which was in turn bought out by Andersen. They are absolutely garbage, which is why none of the manufacturers want to put there name on it.
If you meant Simonton I would suggest that brand over AC.

Heck I would suggest you find a window store in your area that sells Simonton and compare the windows there to the model at the HD. You may be suprised to find a much better window is available for just a couple of bucks more. But if your moving soon.....

edit: spelling


Last edited by mtm; 12-30-2007 at 08:29 PM.
mtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 10
Default

American Craftsman VS Simington windows?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm View Post
Never heard of Simington so can't offer advice on that one. American Craftsman are a crap brand made exclusively for the Home Depot. They were made by a company called Silverline, which was in turn bought out by Andersen. They are absolutely garbage, which is why none of the manufacturers want to put there name on it.
If you meant Simonton I would suggest that brand over AC.


edit: spelling
Yeah, I meant Simonton. I thought the AC's would be good because they were being made by Andersen. Thanks!
Roddy Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Home Performance
 
HomeSealed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Milwaukee,WI
Posts: 1,445
Rewards Points: 524
Default

American Craftsman VS Simington windows?


American Craftsman is a low-end window in price and quality. Simonton is a decent window for they money and I really have nothing bad to say about them. Personally, my company installs mostly Revere. I feel that they are the best window that I can offer my customers for the money, and they won a Consumers Digest "Best Buy" award. For more details, I have alot of info and links on my website, or just google them.
__________________
Replacement Windows, doors, siding, roofing, insulation, and certified energy consulting.
www.HomeSealed.com
HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,802
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

American Craftsman VS Simington windows?


I used the AC windows in my current house when I replaced them. You get what you pay for. They're not the best but I really can't complain too much about them. I had to trim some the welded seams and some of the locks needed realigning but no major problems. I think they were a good balance of quality vs. price.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Default

American Craftsman VS Simington windows?


The Simington window is the best value. Here is why:

1. Thicker glass
2. More air chambersresulting in better thermal protection in the sash and frame.
3. Thicker space between the glass.
4. Lower rating for thermal protection which qualifies it for the Federal Tax Credit....The AC does not.
5. Better warrenties if purchased from The Home Depot:
a. Double Lifetime Warrenties which means that the warrenties will be passed on to the next homeowner when you sell.
b. Lifetime glass breakage...If the glass is broken for any reason, THD will replace it at no charge.


Right now in my area, THD is offering 10% discount. This combined with the Tax Credit gets the Simington 6500 window within a few $s of the AC12.

The Simington is a much better window and will only cost a little more.

Go to www.thehomedepot.com/athomeservices for more info.

Last edited by g3en; 04-15-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Add Home Depot's website
g3en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
DIY til I die!
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bensalem PA
Posts: 44
Rewards Points: 25
Default

American Craftsman VS Simington windows?


We just replaced 19 windows in the house with Simonton's. They were all made in 1 week to our specs, installed easily and have a great warranty. We had one window that would not stay where put, and Simonton immediately sent us a new balance mechanism and even offered to come install it. It was a simple install, only requiring one screw and removing the affected sash. The house is much quieter and cozier. I would highly recommend them for a limited budget.
Zel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:19 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 102
Rewards Points: 75
Blog Entries: 1
Default

American Craftsman VS Simington windows?


Quote:
Originally Posted by g3en View Post
The Simington window is the best value. Here is why:

1. Thicker glass
2. More air chambersresulting in better thermal protection in the sash and frame.
3. Thicker space between the glass.
4. Lower rating for thermal protection which qualifies it for the Federal Tax Credit....The AC does not.
5. Better warrenties if purchased from The Home Depot:
a. Double Lifetime Warrenties which means that the warrenties will be passed on to the next homeowner when you sell.
b. Lifetime glass breakage...If the glass is broken for any reason, THD will replace it at no charge.


Right now in my area, THD is offering 10% discount. This combined with the Tax Credit gets the Simington 6500 window within a few $s of the AC12.

The Simington is a much better window and will only cost a little more.

Go to www.thehomedepot.com/athomeservices for more info.
JUST AN FYI....Silverline/American Craftsman does have 366 low-e glass that meets the government tax rebates. the Silverline 8500 Series has 7/8 glass, so it matches Siminton glass thickness, and vinyl on 8500 and 9500 series is the same thickness. Stay away from At Home Services from HOME DEPOT. You could have Andersen or Marvin Windows with the markup the Home Depot At Home Services charges and or Renewel By Andersen beats the Siminton Window price with installation. I had both come out to see for my self, at my neighbors house. I sold them 400 Series Woodwright Andersen cheaper and I called a custom home builder for the install and was much, much cheaper than Home Depot At Home Services-these guys/gals are on commision high pressure saleman. Stay away from these HOODWRINKLERS..... They can not just sell you a window..or give you a window price... it's all shady .....Marvin makes a great replacement window then I'd go Andersen Windows Woodwright Insert/replacement if your where even looking at Home Depot at Home Serives... again I stay away from these Hoodwinklers ...I know everyone has to eat but you will get taken...
I also had a friend who had Home Depot At Home Services come and estimate a shingle estimate...it was $12,000-I hooked him with a roofing contractor for $6400. Just an FYI...these guys are shady...the guys from THD had too come out three times to estimate.. the contractor my friend hired quoted a price right when he arrived and no shingles hit the ground... and had it roofed in one day... who knows how long it would have taken these At Home Services guys to find their hammers or pants..
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 102
Rewards Points: 75
Blog Entries: 1
Default

American Craftsman VS Simington windows?


Quote:
Originally Posted by EMILY P View Post
JUST AN FYI....Silverline/American Craftsman does have 366 low-e glass that meets the government tax rebates. the Silverline 8500 Series has 7/8 glass, so it matches Siminton glass thickness, and vinyl on 8500 and 9500 series is the same thickness. Stay away from At Home Services from HOME DEPOT. You could have Andersen or Marvin Windows with the markup the Home Depot At Home Services charges and or Renewel By Andersen beats the Siminton Window price with installation. I had both come out to see for my self, at my neighbors house. I sold them 400 Series Woodwright Andersen cheaper and I called a custom home builder for the install and was much, much cheaper than Home Depot At Home Services-these guys/gals are on commision high pressure saleman. Stay away from these HOODWRINKLERS..... They can not just sell you a window..or give you a window price... it's all shady .....Marvin makes a great replacement window then I'd go Andersen Windows Woodwright Insert/replacement if your where even looking at Home Depot at Home Serives... again I stay away from these Hoodwinklers ...I know everyone has to eat but you will get taken...
I also had a friend who had Home Depot At Home Services come and estimate a shingle estimate...it was $12,000-I hooked him with a roofing contractor for $6400. Just an FYI...these guys are shady...the guys from THD had too come out three times to estimate.. the contractor my friend hired quoted a price right when he arrived and no shingles hit the ground... and had it roofed in one day... who knows how long it would have taken these At Home Services guys to find their hammers or pants..
I do think Siminton has a great window and warranty...just do not get from Home Depot if you do good luck... I just lost a quote to Home Depot they are having a 20% off sale price on American Craftsman/Silverline Windows till 5/6/09... I also know the Simonton Window was $100 more than the 8500 Series Silverline I qouted... I could not match Home Depot's sale price but I know that's the only thing they have going for them is price... Good Luck.... both have lifetime warranties
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
Home Performance
 
HomeSealed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Milwaukee,WI
Posts: 1,445
Rewards Points: 524
Default

American Craftsman VS Simington windows?


Good advice Emily!....Home Depot services will charge an outrageous price, and you'll get an inferior installation. They pay peanuts to the subcontractors who install their products.
__________________
Replacement Windows, doors, siding, roofing, insulation, and certified energy consulting.
www.HomeSealed.com

Last edited by HomeSealed; 04-20-2009 at 10:34 AM.
HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 102
Rewards Points: 75
Blog Entries: 1
Default

American Craftsman VS Simington windows?


Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
Good advice Emily!....Home Depot services will charge an outrageous price, and you'll get an inferior installation. They pay peanuts to the subcontractors who install their products.

I agree with you totally. And you get what you pay for. Lots of issues, I would never ever recommend Home Depot or Lowes installers when it comes to WINDOWS and PATIO DOOR INSTALLS. They can install storm doors, because it's pretty simple to do and not complex. The Lowes and Home Depot installers are mostly contractors who couldn't make it on their own, and most are hackers....watch out...

I did notice Home Depot had a 20% American Craftsman WIndows unitll May 6th. I do not understand, how they make money, when they take back everything, and sell for pennnys on the dollar.

I did compare a siminton window to both 9500/8500 series windows, side by side. There is not that much difference. The Simonton Looks beefer and a little nicer, vinyl is vinyl. I do think Simonton is a little better quality, but vinyl is vinyl...there isn't that much difference.
If your looking at replacement windows, look at the Marvin Insert and the Andersen Insert.... compare the Vinyl to the wood inserts then your talking real quality... composites are much better than any hollow vinyl product,
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #12
Structural Engineer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 64
Rewards Points: 75
Default

American Craftsman VS Simington windows?


EMILY P, you are spot on. To me vinyl is just the new aluminum (still can't believe how many houses have those crappy things). I had a family member fall into the vinyl trap a few years ago, and it ended up not being much of an improvement over what they already had. I tried to warn them but they were so enamored with the "great deal" they were getting.

Rule of thumb with construction is if its too good a deal to be true, then it is. If it stings the pocket book a little and you have to wait instead of getting it done tomorrow, then your probably headed in the right direction.
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
fcs
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Default

American Craftsman VS Simington windows?


emilyp , just do your research , and stay away from the box stores" thd or lowes" and please dont buy silverline/american craftsman, also find a dealer or window wholesaler in your area ask them about a window company and also check with your local buliding dept and see who they say is good and who they have problems with, good luck and remember if it is too cheap it ischeap

Last edited by fcs; 04-27-2009 at 06:11 PM.
fcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:36 AM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

American Craftsman VS Simington windows?


It's pretty simple in the remodeling industry, you get what you pay for and you'll pay for what you don't get. Having been in the industry now for over 20 years, it's that simple.
Very amusing how contractors who recommended and installed Silverline windows for the past 20 years now have an issue with them because they are sold and installed by Home Depot. Andersen improved the products and it's even a better window than it was. That being said, it's not of similar quality to Simonton, like comparing apples to oranges. American Craftsman received some accolades from Consumer Reports but Simonton is a leader in the industry, rated best overall window (vinyl or clad wood) in the industry by JD Powers the past 2 years.

Quality costs more and Quality pays for it's self over time.
JoeFixIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: anoka county mn
Posts: 314
Rewards Points: 250
Default

American Craftsman VS Simington windows?


excuse the interupt but instead of starting a new thread id like to ask a similar question , how good are crestline windows?? versus the others sated in this thread?

thanks.

oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
terrible windows mt232 General DIY Discussions 10 12-28-2008 05:37 AM
How to caulk windows the RIGHT WAY? fritzycat1 Painting 3 09-10-2007 06:32 PM
new windows juliejules4 HVAC 12 12-06-2006 01:37 PM
Opinion on HD American Craftsman replacement windows Jims69 Remodeling 2 10-26-2006 03:02 PM
How do I install new windows? RickT Carpentry 17 10-12-2006 06:06 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.