Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
moi

Share |

Am I wrong that I think this is wrong?

I am having siding done and have had a few issues with my contractor. I spent a great deal of time picking someone with a good reputation, so I didn't expect the daily discussions I've had to have with the head work-person.

This is is how the front and east side of my house are finished - with the white cut-in/j channeled (?) areas up at the top of the siding corners. The other two sides don't have this cutout area it just angles all of the way down. I think it looks very bad and needs to be redone. He said since he added flashing (which I didn't ask for), so it needs to be this way. He did put whilte flashing from the gutter line to the roof peak, which I agreed to, but not the extra boards he apparently added all around the house. 3 pictures - one of front of house, one with the wood is from the left corner at front of house - he hasn't covered with white yet I guess, and last picture is the east side of the house.

I need to be able to talk with him more intelligently - he is mad now and says I agreed to the flashing so it needs to be this way. I have never seen a home with this - it looks like something fell/blew off. You can see the nails that's holding it up - it looks unfinished.

Am I wrong that this is wrong. Please give me your input. Thanks.

Moi
Attached Thumbnails
Am I wrong that I think this is wrong?-two-corners.jpg   Am I wrong that I think this is wrong?-east-back-corner.jpg   Am I wrong that I think this is wrong?-corner-wood.jpg  

Last edited by moi; 09-23-2007 at 07:55 PM. Reason: better titile
moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #2
mason

Im a mason not a siding expert, but I can tell you it looks like crap and if it were mine I would expect it to be redone and redone right.

You can see on the one picture where he has flashing running right to the corner piece of vinyl. Whats going to stop the water from running down into the corner piece and behind the siding? I dont know? Maybe he can tell me?
6stringmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Ive only done vinyl siding once. But it was 20 years ago and I still drive by the house today and it looks good. That being said... it looks like he bought all of his channels and corners too short and tried to make up for it... I dont know why else in the world someone would do this. It looks dumb but it will also rot your sheathing as someone mentioned. Sure he can caulk it up but that will only last so long as vinyl flexes and moves. It will be a tough fight to fix now because he would totally double his labor ripping it all off and redoing it. good luck.
crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #4

This is the work of an inexperienced siding contractor crew. Crude work at best.
Doubtful it will be rectified unless he's a submissive individual.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:05 PM   #5

If the home had overhangs at the roof then it would look better.

Would he be willing to install overhangs?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
remodeling pro

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you definately need a new siding guy. One who is a mechanic, not an obvious butcher like these pictures show.These kinds of connections will cause you much grief a couple of years down the road when everything behind the siding is rotten.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
Weekend Builder

YUCK.

OVerhangs?

If not, some sort of flashing on top of the siding to keep the water out...
Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:26 AM   #8

Thumbs down

I am no expert but even being unskilled in this particular area, this looks terrible. He knows he messed up and that is why he is defensive. Did you check him out with the BBB?
BabyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #9

This is the job that proves why small claims court is necessary. There aren't too many judges who couldn't see how badly this job has been botched. If this job is finished, he could have at least painted the bare wood that I can see.

Oh yes, the "Better Business Bureau" is another good place to notify. This contractor has to be stopped before he does any more harm. Sorry to be so negative, but I would be fit to be tied if this had happened to me.

You are certainly not out of line by asking for it to be corrected.

Last edited by Handyman50; 09-29-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Handyman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #10

I t might be that he cut the corners too short and is trying to make up for it, but it could also be that the front corners of your house are higher. I did a job recently for family and those corners only come in lengths up to 11' at my supplier.

In any case, the proper way to do it (which would also add a touch of elegance to the house), would be to intall thicker facia and returns. 2x6 would work out great.

Install the 6" facia which should have a lip that bends around the lower edge of the 2x6 making sure that the upper edge of the facia is slid behind the drip edge on the roof and nailed with galvanized nails. White siding nails (look like 16ga finish nails) can be used for tacking the underside of the facia. Once that is up, install the J-channel. Then the corners. You shouldn't have any problem with water getting behind the corners or J because the new facia projects out further. A little bit of caulk maybe in certain areas.

This is not a difficult job, and if your area is like mine, the contractors already charge far too much to do such unskilled work. I would demand it be redone properly.
Cache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:18 PM   #11

I do siding and more for a living.

The MAIN problem is that you did not have the sider remove the existing siding. If you had done that things would look much different.

I have pointed this out in other posts here that by NOT REMOVING THE EXISTING SIDING YOU WILL HAVE WATER INTRUSION!!!!

That is what you will have now. I am guessing you went with the lowest bidder so I do not feel to sorry for you.

Any Sider worth his SPIT will tell you that it may be more expensive but you will get the best result by removing the existing siding.

Your Siders work looks like a hack job, but in all fairness it is next to impossible to make Vinyl look good over lap siding.

Good luck with all.....that.
jiggyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #12

JiggyJack is right. I didn't pay attention to the first picture that shows old siding behind new.

You wouldn't be having these problems if it was removed.
Cache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #13
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggyjack View Post
I do siding and more for a living.

The MAIN problem is that you did not have the sider remove the existing siding. If you had done that things would look much different.

I have pointed this out in other posts here that by NOT REMOVING THE EXISTING SIDING YOU WILL HAVE WATER INTRUSION!!!!

That is what you will have now. I am guessing you went with the lowest bidder so I do not feel to sorry for you.

Any Sider worth his SPIT will tell you that it may be more expensive but you will get the best result by removing the existing siding.

Your Siders work looks like a hack job, but in all fairness it is next to impossible to make Vinyl look good over lap siding.

Good luck with all.....that.
Good advice. If you want to be sure that you will have the proper water drainage, remove existing siding ......or your ''new siding'' may extend beyond the roof line and cause serious issues.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:32 AM   #14
moi

Just checked in on this site - I didn't go with the lowest bidder. I checked Angie's List and the BBB. All excellent results.

So I guess maybe you should feel sorry for me. Your comment was offensive - I came to get an opinion from people that could help me speak more intelligently with my contractor. As you can see this experience has been nightmare.
moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:48 AM   #15
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by moi View Post
Just checked in on this site - I didn't go with the lowest bidder. I checked Angie's List and the BBB. All excellent results.

So I guess maybe you should feel sorry for me. ...... As you can see this experience has been nightmare.
Question: Did you get references, and check them ?

There are many indivduals that work in a particulare area (trades) of the Home Improvement Industry. They may do a specific subcontracting trade work and be good at it (i.e. - floors, roofing, drywall, etc), but lack the proper experience and skills to really do quality work in another different trade area. Such individuals may have a good rating from the BBB or have a good reputation on Angie's list for the work that they know how to do and have the experience with.

However, there are some that try and do more, without the proper time & training in the field. Their work may slow down in their specialized trade, and then try to get into other trades - without the proper experience.
Example: They may help someone out doing a different area of home improvement, then decide that they will then market themselves as "siders" or "carpenters", or "Tilers"...when they lack much of the specialized trade skills to really be out looking for work in that area.

Generally, a good question for a Home Owner to ask is: Do you have references for a SIMILAR project/job, or - the same type of work, or the same kind of installation.... that I may look at, or a call previous client(s) of yours about?

I am not saying the OP did not do this. But that it can be a big help to screen out the "wanna-bees" from the actual specialized trade pros with the right experience required for the job.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-25-2007 at 09:02 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote