Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2007, 04:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Am I dealing with someone who knows what they are doing?

I may have mentioned my spalling walls in my basement before and finally I found someone who says they can skim coat them. He's a retired framer, handy type, who so far has been doing some odd jobs for me and seems to have all the tools and be knowledgable in a lot of things to do with houses. No complaints about the things he's done so far for me but they were not in this area.

Meanwhile, I have zero idea if he knows concrete and please don't tell me to hire a mason because it's just not possible. There aren't any types of tradesfolk here who will actually do work on small jobs as we have a boom on, labour shortage, and these guys can pick the prize jobs which leaves people like me twisting in the wind. Even the $M+ jobs are waiting up to a year to get trades in. In other words I am desperate as I've been trying for nearly a year to get his fixed. Boy is this labour shortage getting tedious I can tell you.

My question is whether this sounds like the right approach and to get any other advice I can before telling him he can give it a go.

Situation is 80 yr old house with some of it's basement/foundation walls spalling. Outside walls are fine. The basement walls look (where a door was cut) to be about 8" thick. I'd say some areas (which are quite big...say 5 - 20 sq ft sections) are missing a depth of anywhere from .25" to 1" of the surface leaving rocks and such showing. Most of it is no longer shedding dust etc. and in my experience with a similar house, any shifting or whatever caused this is from long, long, ago and no longer an issue. In a year living here I haven't seen any water leaking, new dust, or anything. So this is pretty much cosmetic as far as I am concerned.

This guy mentioned using something like a white glue (I can't remember if he actually said it was 'white glue' or 'like' it) on the surface as well as in the concrete/cement which would be skimmed onto the spalled areas. I think he also mentioned a patching compound. That's as much as I know.

Any thoughts, advice?

Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

There are white latex additives you can add to the cement product and there are white primers that go on the wall. Both will help the mixture "stick" to the walls better.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

I think he has the right idea...that glue is a bonding agent for skimming new concrete on to old concrete.
send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Thanks for the assurances. Maybe I will let him try it and see what happens.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote