Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #1

Share |

Aluminum siding not matching after Door install

OK, first post. I installed a new pre-hung entry door. It is level and square all around but I'm guessing the old entry door wasn't. The aluminum siding that used to butt up to it is now flush on the bottom and has a 3/4 inch gap on the top. With the exact opposite effect on the other side. So I have a few questions about my options. I'm not exaclty sure what it is called but my windows and door all have some sort of aluminum trim around them that slides under the aluminum siding then goes over the wood of the door frame and gets nailed to it. I peeled off ALOT of the siding trying to get that back on and when I finally did get it back on I noticed the gap. I took it back off and my idea now is to take some pine (which the door frame is made out of) and just glue and nail it to the existing frame to make it wider and taller, sand it down, paint it, forget about the aluminum trim, and trim down the existing aluminum siding to make it flush with the bulked up frame. I NEED BETTER IDEAS, lol. Or I need to know how to cut the siding without peeling it completely off.
alcopaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Aluminum siding not matching after Door install

You can mark the siding and cut it with a circular saw. Put the blade in backwards. Finish the corners with a utility knife or a multi master. Then you can install new flat casings and wrap with aluminum. Check out the pvc trim products if you don't want the aluminum trim.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote