Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Aluminum Pool Enclosure

I am replacing some rusty screen in my screen enclosure and one of the truss ends started pouring water out the holes as I loosened the screws. Quite a bit of water !! I don't think this is typical for water to collect inside the trusses of the cage, is it? I left the downward most screw out so the hole is exposed to allow the water to drain but I would like someone's advise as to why this would happen. What should I check? Thanks for your help !!

cttooltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Aluminum Pool Enclosure

Not sure if this makes sense, but what about drilling some weep holes in the truss ends to allow water to escape? Might be due to condensation?

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #3

Aluminum Pool Enclosure

Thanks bob22. I will try that. It's better that having it build up and sit in there and eventually corrode the metal. The puzzling thing is that the other two truss ends didn't have water, so I thinking there is a breach somewhere on this particular beam. I think I'll have to get up on the roof and investigate !!
cttooltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #4

Aluminum Pool Enclosure

Are you talking about the trusses that go overhead and mount to the uprights? they are open ending and would have some type of aluminum plate just screwed over the opening on the outside of the cage. I dont think that i have ever seen a water tight beam anywhere in a cage, that water trapped behind those screws are going to cause a quicker deterioration of those screws.
illdoitmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #5

Aluminum Pool Enclosure

The screws should be stainless steel and will never deteriorate. But sometimes companies cheap out and use plated screws. Any screws you replace should be stainless steel.
Builditnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #6

Aluminum Pool Enclosure

The problem with using stainless screws, and you are correct, the screws themselves will not deteriorate, however the contact between the aluminum and stainless causes electrolysis which will lead to the deterioration of the aluminum itself. Carbon Steel fasteners are better for the longevity of the aluminum. The heads are what rusts, the shafts themselves takes forever to show deterioration. The heads are what you want to protect. The screws i bought for my cage are a fiberglass/ nylon injected molded head from a company called Florida Fasteners Direct that specialized in these pool cages. With the nylon head, they cant rust because they are not exposing the metal. They have been hurricane tested to provide the same amount of pull out strength. There is still a steel screw and washer inside the heads. Pretty neat system.

illdoitmyself is offline   Reply With Quote