Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Knee deep

Rewards Points: 10

Aluminum frame screen patio help

Hey guys,

I have a 27'x14'x8" concrete slab on the back on my block/stucco home. I had originally planned on going 2 or 3 high with block and then using aluminum framing up from there and adding a double insulated aluminum roof for the screen room. I've since been persuaded to ditch the block idea and use all aluminum framing with a kick plate instead. They have the framing etc. at the big Orange Box and it seems simple enough but.... With that said, here is my question:

After a lot of failed searches, I have to ask if someone would point me in the right direction to a full detailed write up or instructional video so I don't screw it up? Aside from even the basics, I am also not sure what the proper way to attach the roof to the wooden fascia would be. I live in Florida so I imagine it would have to be secured to some sort of hurricane standards etc.

Thanks in advance for your help. Btw, and as I mentioned earlier, I searched this forum as well and didn't seem to find my answer so I apologize in advance if I missed it.

Adrenalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
Knee deep

Anyone?

Old 05-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Knee deep

Anyone...

Bueller...
Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Knee deep

88 views so far.

One last bump.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 508

First off, will this require a permit in your area? Second, will that slab properly support a structure with a roof like you propose? Most slabs are merely 4 inches thick with no footers, and not capable of supporting a structure.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
Knee deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
First off, will this require a permit in your area? Second, will that slab properly support a structure with a roof like you propose? Most slabs are merely 4 inches thick with no footers, and not capable of supporting a structure.
I have information (whether right or wrong) from a mason that says I do not need a footer more than 8" which the entire slab is 8" thick (I had it poured a couple of years ago).

I got a quote from a guy to build the screen room, which seemed fair but at the time but he was busy. I tried getting in touch with him later but had no luck so I just held off until recently. This guy said that if I didn't go with block then I didn't need a permit. I could find out if I need a permit, and if I do, I would think that it wouldn't be a big deal?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

I don't shop at the orange box that you speak of but I feel like you need to request the same info you asked for here but from the manufacturer of the product you want to use. They should have something for you.

HartKyle83 is offline   Reply With Quote