Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
ICF built home

Rewards Points: 75

Aluminum Door sill and Concrete

Hello,
I am looking for advice regarding imbeding an aluminum door sill in concrete. The front door and Garage door of my new house are intended to be handicap accesible with no step up to them.

The door sill has an extruded piece of aluminum that comes out and them wraps under, making a kind of toe kick. A very typical set up on a door that you would normally step up to.

However since I want the exterior porch and garage floors to be flush with the interior floors, that piece of aluminum will be buried/imbeded in the concrete when it is poured.

My initial Google searches indicate that this may not be what I want to do as this may cause corrosion in the aluminum. This is in WI and it will also be getting wet and probably have sidewalk salt tracked on it aggravting the corrosion problem.

Any recomendations on how to handle this situation?

Thanks for your input.

Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,074

There are specialized door sweeps that retract and can provide a good seal to most any type of sill.

I have seen similar units for indoor use and noise control (sound and privacy). The sweep is lowered when the door is closed. Probably no cheap, but it could be a good, smooth solution for limited access.

You may want to look for a low profile sill that is make from a material compatible with the concrete (steel, marble, etc.) and suitable for your climate exposure.

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
NH Builder

Rewards Points: 10

DEFINITELY don't embed alluminum in concrete. The sill will not last long at all. Alluminum will corrode very fast when exposed to concrete. I would suggest trying to find a different manufacturer that uses either steel or some type of figerglass composite.
NHBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote