Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #1

Share |

Aluminum beam span for arbor

We are building a new patio and covering it with an aluminum arbor. The arbor will cover the patio in 2 sections:

-- A-frame section 20' long by 14' wide
-- Flat section 20' long by 38' wide, with a caveat: there is a Sago palm in the corner of the area that we don’t want to cover, about 5'x5'.

I already know that I can span the 20' from the house to the edge of the patio. I am building seating along the 38' long edge. I need to allow for posts in the concrete to support the beams that will hold up the arbor.

I don’t want to put a post in front of the seating area. If the post will be placed behind the seating area, then I need to pour concrete in that spot. Or I can position the seating between the posts. I just need to know if there is an optimum span for posts over a 38’ long span. Should I plan on four posts about 8' apart? Or can I go longer, for example, two posts 16' apart?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Brian

Last edited by btphelps; 09-01-2012 at 03:50 AM. Reason: add picture
btphelps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, arbor, patio cover, span