Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #1

Share |

Alternatives to using wood structural members in a brick building

Hi,
I own a 3 floor semi detached brick building. Even though the building is solid masonry, all the joists are made of wood(and are over 100 years old) I'm planning the 1st floor apt remodel and since the joists are pretty old, they might need to be replaced. Since it's highly unorthodox to use anything but wood in US residential construction, I'm curious about what the alternatives might be?

One thing that comes to mind is steel beams with steel decking with poured concrete over it. Does anyone have any experience with that? Is it much more expensive than wood?

What are some other alternatives?

vvzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #2

Beam and block flooring is becoming popular here for newbuilds, although I think I would stick with timber for your house.
Alternatives to using wood structural members in a brick building-technical_diagram.jpg

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  5.3 KB

stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvzz View Post
Hi,
I own a 3 floor semi detached brick building. Even though the building is solid masonry, all the joists are made of wood(and are over 100 years old) I'm planning the 1st floor apt remodel and since the joists are pretty old, they might need to be replaced. Since it's highly unorthodox to use anything but wood in US residential construction, I'm curious about what the alternatives might be?

One thing that comes to mind is steel beams with steel decking with poured concrete over it. Does anyone have any experience with that? Is it much more expensive than wood?

What are some other alternatives?
Unlees you have pest or water problems, the wood will likely last another 100 years. I just moved from a house such as you describe and the wood was as good as the day it was installed.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #4

I just personally hate the practice of using wood as a structural material. In my opinion houses should be masonry, steel, concrete and not wood.
vvzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Structural steel is commonly used in commercial/industrial construction. Prestressed or post-tensioned concrete planks are often used in commercial/residential construction, and occasionally in residential construction. Cast in place concrete floors are very commonly used in commercial/industrial construction.

As for costs, it is not possible to make an intelligent statement on costs for a specific project without knowing the details of the project. You may want to consult with an architect, engineer, contractor or cost estimator to evaluate the costs of various alternatives.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvzz View Post
I just personally hate the practice of using wood as a structural material. In my opinion houses should be masonry, steel, concrete and not wood.
Maybe so, so but most us couldn't afford to live in such a home.
Homes in Europe have been built from masonry products for century's, but they have started to build wood framed homes because they are more cost effective.

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote