Alternative For Insulating Concrete Basements - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,000

alternative for insulating concrete basements

I just learned of this system, so I thought I'd post it for those needing alternatives to insulating a concrete basement. It looks interesting. Comments? www.refiticf.com

Advertisement

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,184

Very neat, cute and shows up well, but is interesting and costly and probably not a cost-justified system based on energy savings in comparison to the cost (diminishing returns).

Just like the systems of ICF forms for basements, they are difficult to pay for when there are better places to invest the time and money in. Not all basements are the 100% "cookie cutter" type than can be used when the temperature difference between the soill and interior is always less than 15-20 degrees F even when it is -10F or -20F outside above grade. A typical basement probably has as much area of floor as the wall area. When you shift into A/C the benefits of the thermal storage are not available from the wall because of the excess insulation.

Dick

Advertisement

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 698

Interesting.
But I think framing studs against and filling with fiberglass batts is going to be cheaper and less work. I would be a little concerned about wavy walls too.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Interesting.
But I think framing studs against and filling with fiberglass batts ....
FG batts would be my last choice for anything, esp against concrete. Foam is generally recommended, in some form.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,184

No question about the use of studs and fiberglass being easy and cheap, but I would never have them in my home. The fiberglass is inferior for the application and made by a company that promotes the use of an individual material "R-value" (possibly over-stated by 90%) when compared with the the mythical "R-value" (if there is really such a thing) of a wall or floor assembly as being really meaningful since it is always just one part of an insulation system - and that is not on an annual basis.

The first question is how much insulation do you really need on an annual basis and how does the suggested/proposed system work in a real basement.

The second question is how much cooling benefit do you want from the thermal mass around the basement soil when you are air conditioning? - That depends on your location, but we run the AC for our home 24/7 for several months in the summer for humidity control and comfort in a split level home with an open staircase, but fortunately have a variable speed fan.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
..."R-value" (possibly over-stated by 90%)...
No way. 89%, tops.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,618

we don't have our cmu bsmt walls insulated as they're all below grade,,, didn't in upstate ny either even 24x24 bsmt family room.

thinking about replacing gas fha furnaces as each is over 25yrs old w/standing pilot lights,,, bsmt insulation specs may also change,,, we run our a/c about the same, dick.

ps - nice tie tack, dick

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote