Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Alside Prodigy issue with seams

I had Alside Prodigy insulated vinyl siding installed on my house last year. We used the double 6" clapboard version in 17 foot panels. I live in northern Ohio so that the siding does experience varying degrees of temperature change. The majority of the seams have opened up various sized gaps (ex. 1/8'' or 3/16") at the seams where one panel overlays the other. I believe the industry term used for this is 'fishmouthing'. When the product was installed, all the seams were lying flat. I'm concerned about what's going on here and what might happen with this long term. The gaps are big enough to detract in how the house looks and we've already had things blow against the house and get wedged inside the gaps. I'm also concerned about potential for moisture and bugs. I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced this problem and potential solutions. I'm not sure at this point if it is a product or installation related issue.

kozichr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

could be an installation or a product issue,have you spoken with your contractor?what does he say?maybe time to bring an Alside rep in to have a look

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,068

With panels that long that had to really pay attention on how it was nailed.
The nails can not be tight and they had to be in the center of the slots.
They also had to pay attention to what the temperature was when they installed it.
Vinyl expands and contracts a lot with the changing temp. if it was cut to long on a cold day and it fit tight it's may bow when it gets warm because there's no room to move.
I'd pop loose a piece and see what's up.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #4

good points Joe but this is an insulated panel that used a foam backer that is glued to the panel that is butted together at the seams [the foam not the panel],this panel moves but not in quite same way as a uninsulated one

don't pull anything,this imo is a warranty issue,start with your contractor and ask to have an Alside rep look at it

what color is the panel?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

I've contacted my contractor and Alside both. My contractor agrees that something is going on here, but not sure of the cause. We're waiting to hear back from Alside. The color of the siding is Coastal Sage. One other thing, the contractor confirmed that the siding was hand-nailed when installed to avoid sinking the nails in too tight to allow for movement in the siding.
kozichr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #6

this is just my opinion but i believe with the darker colors and the siding being glued to the foam substrate that can't move can set up stress in the panel that sometimes will manifest itself as puckered or fishmouth seams

as far as installation goes usually when seams are not tight it is caused by the siding not running straight