Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #1

Share |

Aligning walls to ceiling joists?

So i'm framing my walls in my basement, and I've noticed that my top plate is not aligned to my ceiling joists..my framing corners however are 90 degrees (triple checked), but I'm finding my concrete walls are not straight. Is that going to be a problem? It just looks off as i'm framing, i'm sure once the drywall is up I wont be able to tell much..
Should I be worried?

dstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Seems like you are doing the basement wrong anyway. The bottom stud must be pressure treated. The tops can be shimmed if needed to be tight to the ceiling joists. The exterior wall if this is a below grade basement should have 1" closed cell rigid insulation or spray insulation to act as a capillary break to stop water transfer from the soil outside as well as a warm surface on the concrete to prevent condensation on the concrete wall. A 1" space should be provided to allow air flow behind the wall to allow any eventual wet condition to dry.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
Seems like you are doing the basement wrong anyway. The bottom stud must be pressure treated. The tops can be shimmed if needed to be tight to the ceiling joists. The exterior wall if this is a below grade basement should have 1" closed cell rigid insulation or spray insulation to act as a capillary break to stop water transfer from the soil outside as well as a warm surface on the concrete to prevent condensation on the concrete wall. A 1" space should be provided to allow air flow behind the wall to allow any eventual wet condition to dry.
When did I say anything about the bottom stud? My bottom plate IS pressure treated. And my walls aren't up against the concrete walls.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #4

Do you mean the walls are not parallel with the joists above? When checking 90* did you use multiples of 3-4=5 ? 12'-16'=20' or bigger if possible? Only be worried if you: use a paneled or gridded ceiling; floor tiles or different color carpet squares; anything with a pattern that would show walls out of whack. Sorry previous sentence doesn't apply. Worried about not following foundation walls- only at the exterior door or window jambs, maybe a five footer, you might discern a difference in depth. GBAR
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBAR in WA View Post
Do you mean the walls are not parallel with the joists above? When checking 90* did you use multiples of 3-4=5 ? 12'-16'=20' or bigger if possible? Only be worried if you: use a paneled or gridded ceiling; floor tiles or different color carpet squares; anything with a pattern that would show walls out of whack. Sorry previous sentence doesn't apply. Worried about not following foundation walls- only at the exterior door or window jambs, maybe a five footer, you might discern a difference in depth. GBAR
Yes that's what I meant.
And yes I used the 3-4-5 rule and everything adds up just right. My concern was the window area, but I don't think it'll be too much of an issue.

Problem is though, I am planning on putting a dropped ceiling, however most of the walls will have soffits to cover up the ducts, so I might be able to get away with that there and compensate in case the grids are off.