Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #1

Share |

air nailers

Will Be Putting Up 7/16 Osb Board On 2x4 S For A Sub Wall What Would Be The Best Gauge Nailer For The Job? Length Nail?, Round Head Or Half Round Also Going To Be Framing 2x4 Walls What Gauge 8,10, Length Nail? The Framing Nailers Come In Different Angles Is There An All Around Angle Used Most? One Other Question After The Osb Board Goes Up Will Be Paneling What Do You Recomend In A Nailer Gauge And What Kind Of Nail

buckbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:45 PM   #2

air nailers

Buckbob,

The most readily available nail gun will be the "Hitachi" style. Hitachi, Senco, Porter Cable, and others all take the same nail. So I would recommend that nailer. If you are not doing a lot of framing the Porter Cable is a good choice. It is not designed for high production work, IE used day in and day out but for the DIYer and remodelers it is a good choice. I would stay away from a nailer that shoots clipped head nails. Studies have shown that in adverse conditions the material pulls away from the nail.

The 2 3/8" ring shank would be my nail of choice for sheathing and subfloor nailing.

"One Other Question After The Osb Board Goes Up Will Be Paneling What Do You Recomend In A Nailer Gauge And What Kind Of Nail."

I'm not sure what kind of paneling you are doing, so could you clarify the question a little more?

Timberwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:43 AM   #3

air nailers

The Paneling Is Real Wood Backing Looks To Be Like Wood Vener Front Some Where Around 5/32 Overall Thick 4x8 Sheets
buckbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #4

air nailers

The same nailer won't be good for both jobs. I agree that 8d ring shank nails will be the ticket for the OSB.

Not clear on what you mean by paneling, but if it interior paneling then you need to use finish nails. Construction adhesive helps minimize the amount of nails needed. 8's would hold paneling but it would look like crud.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote