Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #1

Share |

Air infiltration in vinyl windows with integrated J Channel

SO I bought a new house (new to me, built in 2001). The windows are vinyl and they have integrated J Channel. The siding is vinyl and utilizes the integrated J channel. The interior portion seems to be properly caulked and sealed, but I still get a large amount of air infiltration through the window casing itself.

If anyone has any ideas on causes i.e. not properly flashed, they would be appreciated, as would a recommendation as to how to stop the infiltration.

Thanks,

tom34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:49 AM   #2

What kind of interior trim, standard wood trim or drywall return?? There is always a gap around a window frame. If that was not properly insulated, there will be cold air flow. If wood trim, remove a piece from an offending window and check that gap. If no insulation, fill(all the way around the window) with DAP foam or other NON-expanding foam. These work better than packing with fiberglass insulation. If the space is insulated, not sure what to suggest, other than you have cheap windows, or a poor instulation, neither of which can be fixed inexpensively.

If drywall return, that requires more work and mess.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #3

JustBill,

Thanks for the info, there is a drywall return and the joint between the window and the drywall is sealed well and doesn't get any draft or infiltration. The air actually seems to be coming through the window casing. I was assuming cheap windows, but hoping for poor installation or some issue that I could correct myself.
Any pointers on how to replace these windows without damaging siding?
tom34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #4

Are these vinyl windows double hung windows? I felt a large amount of air infiltration through my vinyl double hungs. The air would come in through the track on each side where the upper and lower window meet. Last year, I tore a few small pieces of fiberglass batt into 1" square chunks and put them in each side of the track around the cable in the pocket. In spring, I tilted my windows forward and removed the insulation = cheap fix in my situation. It's something you might want to look at.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom34 View Post
JustBill,

Thanks for the info, there is a drywall return and the joint between the window and the drywall is sealed well and doesn't get any draft or infiltration. The air actually seems to be coming through the window casing. I was assuming cheap windows, but hoping for poor installation or some issue that I could correct myself.
Any pointers on how to replace these windows without damaging siding?
It would help if you defined what you are calling,"window casing".
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
Next Time...New Build

To follow what Stubborn said, you could check where the window meets the track. Make sure that there is only a small space...enough for the window to operate properly. If there is a gap, it could mean that when the install was done they may not have been shimmed properly, resulting in some bowing in the casing.

RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote