Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2007, 12:29 AM   #1

Share |

Air Compressor Question

Hi all.. Im looking to buy a new air compressor. Im looking for one that will run a framing nailer or a coil roof nailer. The compressor I have is old and cant keep up . Im just looking for suggestions or what to look for in a new compressor. I couldnt find a site that gave reviews on compressors so I thought I'd ask here. thanks in advance

Last edited by golfgod04; 05-18-2007 at 12:34 AM.
golfgod04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Air Compressor Question

Bostitch.com

crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:04 AM   #3

Air Compressor Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by crecore View Post
Bostitch.com

well...any specific one you would recommend? I know there are lots of problems with the new emglo compressors.
golfgod04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #4

Air Compressor Question

Couple of things...

when you go shopping, most will have a SCFM which is standard cubic feet per minute...which is to say that their capacity is measured against an established standard.

As for what it will power -- look into the CFM requirements of your tools or expected purchases and that will let you know what size you should look at purchasing. For example a hopper to texture drywall taks a lot of CFM, while a finish nailer is relatively minor.

I have a 35 galllon sears oilless...and it's noisy....as most oilless are. I also have a porter cable C3151 job boss oil type...and it's pretty decent...WAY too much warranty repairs but it gets the job done.

The sears has run 3 roofing nailers, and 2 framing nailers at a time, the PC has run 2 roofing nailers at once.

Good luck with your decision...
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:27 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Air Compressor Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod04 View Post
well...any specific one you would recommend? I know there are lots of problems with the new emglo compressors.
Never heard this before, I have one (now sold under the Dewalt name) that is about 18 months old and haven't had any problems. But I would like to wring the neck of the moron that changed the composition of the rubber feet. The rubber was soft on my old one and the compressor would run for days without moving an inch friom where you set it. Rubber composition on the new one is as hard as a block of wood, and the compressor moves around like the little men in the old electric football games.(You'll have to be an oldie like me to remember these).
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:29 PM   #6

Air Compressor Question

I have a Porter Cable pancake compressor. It came with a finish nailer. Bought it about 3 years ago. Works great, but really, really noisy, and cycles often. Nowadays, you can probably get this compressor with 3 guns for $299, the same price I paid for mine with only one gun.

If I had to do it all over again, I would get the Makita super quiet one. Sure, you'll use the compressor to do framing when you don't care about noise, but when you're working on small projects during the night time when everyone asleep, you'll wish you had a quiet one.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC2400...9545161&sr=8-2
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Air Compressor Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
.....and the compressor moves around like the little men in the old electric football games.(You'll have to be an oldie like me to remember these).
They had electricity when you were young ???

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote