Air Barrier To Existing Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

air barrier to existing wall

I'm renovating an older cottage the outside clapboard is staying. the inside of the walls have been opened, and no insulation!!!
My question: before I add in the insulation should I add a house wrap(Tyvek) from the inside? The outside clapboards have spaces in them.

I'm trying to keep cost down so I was trying not to go with spray foam.

Thanks
Steve

Advertisement

dodge1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Stopping air movement through insulation is of very high importance. Not knowing your climate, I don't know if you need a vapor barrier or not (needed only in very cold places, like Frb, AK, etc). Perhaps drywall and a good vapor retarding paint will do on the inside. I don't get what the "spaces" are on the outside, but if you can get Tyvek or felt paper in there, and tape/caulk the seams, do so. What are you going to use for insulation? The old standard fiberglass? There are far better insulations out there now; cellulose (batts, or blown in), cotton, and mineral wool come to mind. GL. j

Advertisement

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #3

The cottage is in quebec, canada. So it does get cold. I know I need an inside vapour barrier.
The spaces I'm referring to are where two ends of the clapboard meet up, some are tight together, others have a 1/4" gap between them. This is why I'm looking at adding the air barrier or else the wind will blow into the wall or worse rain can get in....
I will be using R-20 pink fiberglass.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #4

OK. Whatever you can do to stop air movement without adding another vapor barrier is essential. If you can somehow install Tyvek from the inside, do it. If it will be installed between studs, like batt insulation, then it will help, but obviously you'll have millions of slits for air movement unless you staple/tape/caulk each piece; labor, labor, labor, but it should pay off. I would caulk the ends of the outside cladding to keep the air from ripping through, too. All in all, you should be about 1000% better off than what is there now. GL. j
Old 08-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I realize spray foam would do the trick, I might look into that $ versus my labour.

Thanks Again
Stephen
Old 08-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #6

If it were mine, I'd do the labor. Even if you only stapled the Tyvek and ran some (special; red is common here, don't know the name) tape over the edges, you'd be way ahead of most cottages and lots of houses. When I insulated between my floor joists 30 yrs ago, I stapled and (duct!) taped the visqueen. I just re-did it, and most of the duct tape was still holding, though very dry. I suspect the newer tech tapes for Tyvek will last even longer. I started to caulk w/ "black death" (black acoustical caulk; sticks to grease, I think) but that was too much of a PITA. Spray foam, as you know, is spendy. Either way, you'll have a much better cottage. j

Advertisement