Advise On Building My Built In Bookshelves. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 172

Advise on building my built in bookshelves.

What wood to use? Can I get away with just a brad nailer, or do I need a finish nailer? Stain or paint (probably paint since it may not come out professional)? Adjustable or fixed shelving? Should I match the trim to whatever I use for the window and doors? Or will something else make them look nicer?

Thanks in Advance.....
Attached Thumbnails
Advise on building my built in bookshelves.-dscn0847.jpg  

Advertisement

nateshirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,648

Brad nailer would be too light.....

I would stain....you can inprove the chances of it looking better by using a pre-stain. The problem with paint is that it will chip.

Adjustable......trust me....adjustable.....

If you stain, then you don't need to match the trim.

Here are some shelves I made for the fireplace.....also made the mantel and everything around it....

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #3

Very nice.

What type of wood did you use? I was just thinking a stained look would look much nicer too.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
JOATMON

Solid Birch and Birch plywood. You want to use plywood for shelves because it's much more stable....hardwood shelves tend to warp. You make the front edge look nice by just glueing a strip of hardwoord or molding to the front....if going for quick, they make iron on wood trip that holds up well.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 11-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #5

Will the plywood stain the same as hardwood?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateshirk View Post
Will the plywood stain the same as hardwood?
Yes....assuming you get cabinet grade plywood....

As I mentioned above...you will get more consistant results if you use pre-stain wood conditioner.

Here is a good link that explains it...

http://woodworking.about.com/od/fini...onditioner.htm

Remember....you have to use cabinet grade plywood of the surface you want....say birch or oak. Pine plywood is going to look like pine....don't care how you stain it...it looks like pine.

edit: BTW....in the above pic, wood conditioner was not used.....you may not see the mismatch...but I do....but it's not bad enough to redo.

Advertisement