Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
long island, NY

Share |

advice on where I can get inexpensive mid-quality bathroom cabinets / counter?

Does anyone have any advice on where I can find local clearance centers with discount prices on mid-quality bathroom/kitchen cabinets and counters? Any google terms or national vendors with secret clearance centers? Any shopping tips?

The counter /cabinet we'd like to replace is 83" long, with two sinks (centers at the 20" mark and the 62" mark). It's a long counter top, so I'm afraid it's a budget buster.... but I'm hoping I can get cabinets and a counter I can live with (mid-quality, not builder's grade) from a clearance center at a builder's grade price. (We already have new toto drop-in sinks for the project, and we intend to reuse our 4" faucets, as they're in good condition....)

(The story: I have an old floating bathroom (laminate/particle board) cabinet that has REALLY fallen apart, with two metal sinks that have rusted through. Due to my somewhat tight budget, I originally was going to try to remount the countertop (which is also pulling away from the back wall, and is not even remotely level anymore), but frankly, it's a ton of work and the counter is chipped, falling apart and ugly. I'm not even sure it would survive remounting. None the less, i suspect it's not worth all the effort.

diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #2

Ikea.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #3

Habitat for Humanity Restore
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #4

you could always do tile or concrete for the counter and build the cabinet bases, then just buy the doors.

That way you can get premium quality and spend very little.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
long island, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by forresth View Post
you could always do tile or concrete for the counter and build the cabinet bases, then just buy the doors.

That way you can get premium quality and spend very little.
Thank you for the compliment, but I don't think if I were to do it, it would be the best quality (I don't have the tools for the job...)

I was thinking about a concrete counter top. Very pretty, and if we were to do it ourselves, not too pricey

I looked into IKEA, and a row of bottom kitchen cabinets to fill that space would run about $500. Not too bad.... But that's without a counter! Hence the appeal of concrete counters.......

I never even knew that habitat for humanity sold cabinets. I'll have to checkout the local charities around here......

thanks for your input!
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote