Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Advice for Water Problem in Garage

Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice on resolving a moisture problem in my detached garage that has caused a pretty bad mold problem. The garage is one of those prefab kit garages that was installed before I bought my house.

The garage just basically sits on the concrete pad with no real barrier (that I can see anyway) between the concrete and the garage itself. Water basically just seeps through at the bottom of the concrete pad. The pic below is from the outside where the garage meets the concrete:

The previous owner has obviously tried the quick fix by smearing tar everywhere. Obviously on the inside the water seepage has caused mold on the drywall:

Obviously I'm planning on gutting the entire garage and replacing all the drywall with greenboard, but how do I deal with the water problem, which is obviously the root of the problem.

Last edited by jschweg; 04-15-2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Fix image link
jschweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #2

Well since all of that was built completly wrong, and would never meet any kind of building code it's going to take some time and money to fix it.
If it was my job to do I'd cut the panels you have there now at 6" from the slab, replace any bottom plates that have rotted out, sister any rotted studs.
Seal the bottom cut area with primer and paint then pry out the siding enough to be able to slide in a piece of Z moulding.
Use aluminum coil stock to form a larger Z moulding and attach to the studs and form it so it went up the studs 6" and out over the slab and down below the slab.
Then install 1 X 6" vinyl lumber.
This way the siding would be the 6" min it needed to be above the slab, water could not get in and the weed wacker could not damage the siding.
If it has wood outside corners I'd also cut them off and wrap the vinyl lumber around the outside corners so there not going to rot any more.

Yours failed because the slab is to close to grade, the building did not over hang the slab and the siding is to close to the grade.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
but how do I deal with the water problem, which is obviously the root of the problem.
Ayuh,.... Disconnect the anchor bolts, 'n jack the Whole thing up 'bout a Foot, 'n lay a course of blocks 'round the perimeter, core fill 'em with new bolts, 'n set the place back down...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #4

it sure looks like you are headed in joe's direction. you have some major repairs to do. jacking up is fine, but it won't fix the rot that is there already.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschweg
Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice on resolving a moisture problem in my detached garage that has caused a pretty bad mold problem. The garage is one of those prefab kit garages that was installed before I bought my house.

The garage just basically sits on the concrete pad with no real barrier (that I can see anyway) between the concrete and the garage itself. Water basically just seeps through at the bottom of the concrete pad. The pic below is from the outside where the garage meets the concrete:

The previous owner has obviously tried the quick fix by smearing tar everywhere. Obviously on the inside the water seepage has caused mold on the drywall:

Obviously I'm planning on gutting the entire garage and replacing all the drywall with greenboard, but how do I deal with the water problem, which is obviously the root of the problem.
You can temporarily support.the exterior walls one at a time and cut the bottom out enough to install a row of block...sill sealer and pt bottom plates.
kwikfishron (04-15-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #6

Thank you everyone, this is really helping me a lot. Bear with me, this is new territory for me, so I'm just trying to understand.

The concrete is 4 inches from the ground to the top of the pad, and then the start of the framing is 4 inches indented onto the pad:

I know that the groundwater isn't getting above the 4 inch pad height, so
I'm guessing that it is collecting along that 5 inch lip and seeping in that way. Now when you guys say to raise evertyhing, I should add the blocks flush with the framing NOT with the outer edge of the pad right? So that way I can put some sort of siding between the block and framing so the water can't possibly get in there.

Just want to make sure I understand.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #7

Raise the garage and it will through off all the passage door and overhead doors.
It can be done with a lot of reframing and a new overhead door if you have one.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #8

IMO, you have two issues going on. One is you're about 2" shy of the 6 that should be between soil and the mudsill. Regrading around the structure can be the most cost-effective way to solve this problem. See my comments in
Foundation wall too low.

The second issue may be the bigger problem, though. It's that 5" lip. I can't tell from the pic. Is it level or slanted. If slanted, in which direction--towards the structure or towards the yard?
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #9

The lip is completely level, which is why I think water is pooling there and seeping in.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschweg
The lip is completely level, which is why I think water is pooling there and seeping in.
It's a certainty. There another thread ongoing with the same issue. It has some good recommendations.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #11

Great thank you. Can you point me to that thread or is it the one you mentioned above?
Old 04-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschweg View Post
Great thank you. Can you point me to that thread or is it the one you mentioned above?
new footings for addition, now water intrusion
Old 04-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If it was my job to do I'd cut the panels you have there now at 6" from the slab, replace any bottom plates that have rotted out, sister any rotted studs.
Seal the bottom cut area with primer and paint then pry out the siding enough to be able to slide in a piece of Z moulding.
Use aluminum coil stock to form a larger Z moulding and attach to the studs and form it so it went up the studs 6" and out over the slab and down below the slab.
Then install 1 X 6" vinyl lumber.
JoeCaption: Is the below drawing basically what you were getting at? Cut wall panel 6 inches up from slab, the red is the inserted Z moulding. Only part I'm missing is what you mention with the vinyl lumber part.

Sorry, hard to visualize this stuff when I haven't done it before.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #14

What you have drawn is right your just missing two more piece you need.
Your going to need a piece of Z molding under the siding that will sit out over the vinyl lumber to keep water from running down the wall and getting behind the vinyl.
The vinyl lumber gets attached so the bottom sits on the slab and the top is under the Z moulding that's missing in your picture.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #15

Gotcha. I have revised my drawing. Blue is additional z-moulding, and the brown is the lumber. Everything is pulled apart in the drawing, but all would sit flush.

So this is all together correctly now right?

My last and hopefully final question is what is holding the wall panel and both mouldings together? Pressure? And now is the lumber affixed to the side of the wall?

Thank you for your patience, I think most others would have killed me by now.