Advice Installing Support In Ceiling For Hanging Ceiling Pot Rack - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Advice Installing Support in Ceiling for Hanging Ceiling Pot Rack

Hello, I bought a ceiling pot rack to free up some space in my kitchen. I was not able to come up with a place to hang my rack which would have went into ceiling joists. The pot rack connects to the ceiling by 4 eye bolts.

The desired layout from above is:

about 4" of space from the forward wall.
LEFT-WALL1 BOLT1 JOIST1 BOLT2 JOIST2 JOIST3 ETC
about 16" of space in this plane
LEFT-WALL1 BOLT3 JOIST1 BOLT4 JOIST2 JOIST3 ETC

I originally hoped to add two new 2x4's across the top (perpendicular) of my existing beams and add the eye bolts into these two new beams. But the eye bolts are about 5 inches too short (counting 1 inch of threading into the new lumber). I could still possibly buy longer eye bolts and go this route.

The other option would be to add lumber between the joists. Referencing the layout above I would have 2 between LEFT-WALL1 and JOIST1, which bolts 1 & 3 screwed in to, and 2 between JOIST1 and JOIST2 which bolts 2&4 screwed in to. My problems with this solution are:
  1. I'm not sure how to attach to the joists. Maybe L brackets?
So there I've laid it out. Any advice is much appreciated . In particular, which route (or another) you would take and the best way to connect to the ceiling joists without damaging integrity. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

hovenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,278

Quote:
But the eye bolts are about 5 inches too short (counting 1 inch of threading into the new lumber).
Ayuh,... I'd go with 7" longer eyebolts to get full threading into the timbers...
Or,...
Use the eyebolts you have, 'n use longer chains to attach the rack to the eyebolts...

Advertisement

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 504

i am confused ( sorry).

to put where you want, will you be able to hit any joists?

how much total weight are you talking about? I'd think you could use toggle bolts for this. I'd recommend the ones with the plastic straps and one piece wings ( like the ones made by Toggler) for overhead use.
Just get machine threaded eyebolts that will work with the togglers
Old 01-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #4

I will not be able to hit any joists.

I did not consider togglers. I'm expecting 50lbs max for the structure and hanging pots/pans. I guess I was just worried about my ceiling falling down and wanted to add support. Maybe I will try this first and see if it makes me nervous or not. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,002

Hoven,
Do you have access to above the ceiling to add any support lumber? If so, I would add a piece of 2 x 4 to span across the top of your ceiling joists and use a couple of 3" screws in each end. Put a piece over each area you want to have an eye bolt at. Then I would get some threaded rod and cut them so they will extend up through the drywall ceiling and through the 2 x 4 brace. Use a fender washer and nut on top of the 2 x 4. On the bottom, you can get eye bolt type fittings that have a female threaded end on them and screw them onto the end of the threaded rod. I would think 1/4" or 5/16" threaded rod would be plenty strong for what you want to do.
If you don't want the 2 x 4's on top of the joist, then cut them to fit snugly between the joists and place them flush with the top and you will still have room to use a couple of screws on each end to fasten them in.
Here's a link I found for stainless eyebolts 12" long:
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Riggin...-Long-1-4-x-12
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:14 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

You can get specialty toggles/drywall anchors that can hold a substantial amount of weight, are made for hooks to screw into.

I installed a pot rack like this the other week for a client, used EZ anchors into the ceiling, screwed the hooks into them, hung rack no problems.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:16 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

just make sure the anchor you use is rated for the weight, there are proper ones easily available, does not take a lot of time to install.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Went with the toggle anchors. Put in 4 rated for about 200 lbs each ( think I read to expect about 1/4 of that) and everything feels really sturdy and it was a super easy job.

Thanks for all the advice. If nothing else, worrying about it got me up in my attic where I realize I'm WAY short on insulation !

Really enjoyed the forum, look forward to browsing all your great answers in the future and who knows, maybe I can offer something sometime

Advertisement

Tags
ceiling mounted , racking resistance , support beam