Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #1

Share |

Advice on installing island light junction box

I'm installing a light over my kitchen island (1st floor of 2 story house, so no attic access). The center mark of the island falls directly on a ceiling joist. I've got a saddle box, which would work great, except the cover plate for the light is not circular, its oval, so the mounting holes are going in the wrong direction (perpendicular instead of parallel to the joist). I can also use a mounting bracket with the box attached, but again, the holes on that fall at a 45. Any advice on how to 'rig' either box, or what else to buy to solve the problem would be greating appreciated

MBD DIYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Master Electrician

Different straps are available that might give you the orientation you want.

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brric For This Useful Post:
MBD DIYer (04-04-2010)
Old 04-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Sounds like you are either missing or overlooking a mounting bar for the canopy. I have seen some pretty non practical lighting fixtures in my time, but none that required the rough in box screws to be perfectly aligned so as to receive the fixture trim. Think about it...that means if you were building a new house, you would need to physically have all the light fixtures when the electrician was doing his rough wiring, so he could try to orient the screw tabs on the boxes correctly for each fixture...I would not want to pay his bill.
But to your question; you can get what is called a biscuit box; it is only 1/2" thick and you can screw it to the botton of the joist with a couple of pan head screws.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troubleseeker For This Useful Post:
MBD DIYer (04-04-2010)
Old 04-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. The mounting bar was included in with the fixture. Because the coverplate for the light was oval, and needed to be oriented in the same direction as the island (which happened to be same direction at the floor joists above), this was a unique situation. I've installed lots of fixtures throughout the house and this was the first time I encountered this issue!
Troubleseeker - I see your point about the electrician's bill
I ended up going to my local lighting supply store and getting a Westinghouse Fan Master support box (rated for a 50 lb fan).
Here's what I did:
Placed box on joist and drilled pilot holes for box mounting screws
Put fixture mounting screws down from the "top" of the box and through the mounting plate. Used nylon nuts to secure these, then screwed the box with the plate attached to the joist. This box had the mounting holes parallel to the joist.
Then connected the fixture as normal.

The only issue I had was that the screws that came with the light fixture were too short, so I had to replace them with longer ones.

The light looks great!

Thanks for all your help. I've learned a ton of stuff reading the forums and really appreciate all the advice.
MBD DIYer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling fan