Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #1

Share |

Advice on Framing built in shelf

I have excellent location (I thought at first...) to do a built in shelf...until I finally woke up and saw my main electrical wires running behind the load bearing framed wall. By code, I'm not sure if I can put in the drywall for the shelf (see picture).

Could I be missing something and still do the shelf?
thanks,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on Framing built in shelf-img_1063.jpg   Advice on Framing built in shelf-img_1066.jpg  

basementNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Always learning...

Are you asking if its against code to drywall over those wires? If so then no its not against code as long as they are continuous runs with no junction boxes.

fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #3

Thanks! So my next question would be...would you recommend doing it or not? The electrical wire are about 1.5" inch from the front...
basementNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
Always learning...

It was designed to be covered up so whether it's drywall or a shelf wouldn't really matter in my eyes.
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
AHH, SPANS!!!

be mindful of where the studs are at all times when working around the wires with both drywall and shelves, you do not want to miss with a nail and hit a wire. might want to get some metal plates and staple them to the top plates where the wires are going through. use your pics to guide you later after drywall is up and draw a diagram on paper with stud placement measurements to allow you to know later because the studs change and are not in line over top of the horizontal 2x4 mid way of the wall
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
"You can do anything"-Mom

I'd add another 2x4 against the back wall in the top so that you have something to attach your drywall too when you rock the ceiling portion of that shelf.

brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote