Advice Extending Ridgeline Of Ranch House - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Advice extending ridgeline of ranch house

I have a rectangular ranch house with very simple ridge board/rafter construction like the one pictured here:
http://www.shedking.net/ridge-beam.html

In order to make our master bath larger, I'm considering extending the house by about three feet. the only thing on that end of the house is the bath and two car garage. My question is, what is the best way to tie into the existing ridge board and extend it the necessary three feet? Can the 3 foot extension just be butted against the existing ridge board? Like in this photo? http://www.matthewghunter.com/IMG_2515_20.jpg

The rest seems pretty straightforward, but any advice on potential difficulties would be appreciated.

Many thanks!
Russell

Advertisement

Last edited by pfau; 02-04-2011 at 11:29 PM.
pfau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,038

It would depend entirely on your local Building Department. You would need a permit for this to meet the very minimum safety (Code) for your H.O. Insurance and if you ever sell the house.

Gary

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 04:17 AM   #3
Contractor - Renovations

Rewards Points: 250

i think with a supported ridge beam like in the first photo you may need an engineer, especially if you want to add a splice or joint.
(remember this is a beam)
The first photo is incorrect anyway. he forgot the support for the ridge beam.

the one in the second photo is likely a ridge board, and if that is what you have. (do you have ceiling joists?) then it should be able to be done like in the second photo. though you may have to get creative on how you do your temporary support of the rafters while you redo the ridge...?

where are you located?

Last edited by fungku; 02-05-2011 at 04:40 AM.
fungku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I just learned the difference between ridge board and ridge beam by reading some of the other discussions on this board. I'm pretty sure this is indeed a ridge board as there are rafters and angled supports from rafters to joists. I also got the bright idea to get in the attic to see how the builder did it (I didn't think there would be one solid length board all the way from one end of the house to the other!). Sure enough, I answered my own question as there is a simple butt joint up there. See photos here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/rspfau/...eat=directlink

The ridge board should support itself while I make the extension, shouldn't it?

Many thanks!!
Russell
Old 02-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #5

In fact, I think I'd just double up my rafters at that butt joint...leaving the original (end rafter) in place and installing the first new rafter up against the original and nailed to the end of the new ridge board extension. That way I'd not have to tear apart any of the original construction.

I'm in Texas....outside of the city limits.

-Russell
Old 02-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfau View Post
I have a rectangular ranch house with very simple ridge board/rafter construction like the one pictured here:
http://www.shedking.net/ridge-beam.html

In order to make our master bath larger, I'm considering extending the house by about three feet. the only thing on that end of the house is the bath and two car garage. My question is, what is the best way to tie into the existing ridge board and extend it the necessary three feet? Can the 3 foot extension just be butted against the existing ridge board? Like in this photo? http://www.matthewghunter.com/IMG_2515_20.jpg

The rest seems pretty straightforward, but any advice on potential difficulties would be appreciated.

Many thanks!
Russell
How wide is the existing house?
Are you keeping the existing rafters and wall?
Are you just making small openings in the wall to get to the 3' addition?

Since you're adding 3' to the addition, the ridge will only extend 1'6" if you want to keep the same pitch. You don't even have to extend the ridge if you're not worried about keeping the same pitch. You can just nail the new rafters into the existing ridge.

Are you drawing the plans to present to the town for permits and inspections, or do you need an architect or engineer for this? Where I'm from homeowners can draw their own plans to get approvals for permits.

Last edited by Joe Carola; 02-05-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #7

I added rough plans to the link:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Orange and green are existing bath and garage respectively. Black are existing ridge board/rafters. Yellow and light green represent the added space to bath and garage (the existing exterior wall will be knocked out so that the bath is a single, larger room). Red indicates new rafters/ridge board.

The house is 36' wide at the side to be extended (it's a two car garage with entrance at the side...I'll have to reframe the garage door).

I'm out in the country in Texas, so I'm pretty sure there aren't any building restrictions...but I'll do whatever is necessary to do things right and by the rules.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfau View Post
I added rough plans to the link:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Orange and green are existing bath and garage respectively. Black are existing ridge board/rafters. Yellow and light green represent the added space to bath and garage (the existing exterior wall will be knocked out so that the bath is a single, larger room). Red indicates new rafters/ridge board.

The house is 36' wide at the side to be extended (it's a two car garage with entrance at the side...I'll have to reframe the garage door).

I'm out in the country in Texas, so I'm pretty sure there aren't any building restrictions...but I'll do whatever is necessary to do things right and by the rules.
I misunderstood what you were doing. I thought you were making the house wider by 3' from 36' to 39'. Sorry about that.

Quote:
Can the 3 foot extension just be butted against the existing ridge board? Like in this photo?
Yes, you can that's house it's always done when you have ceiling joists and a ridge. If it were to be cathedral, you would need a ridge beam and that beam would have to go inside that wall cutting the existing ridge back depending on whether the ridge beam was dropped or flush.

Advertisement