Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adjusting Floor Joists?

Greetings,

We recently had an addition put on our home and we discovered a slight flooring issue that I'm wondering if it can be corrected.

We have about a 4 foot section where the floor dips between the old existing house and the new addition. Other areas of the transition are perfect, but this one happens to be where bar stools go and is noticeable. The dip is about 1/4".

I went into the crawlspace and it's obvious the subfloor is sitting lower, likely the rough carpenters got a little sloppy and mounted the joist hangers (attached to existing house rim joist) a low. I do have new site finished (2.25" oak) hardwood on the entire floor.

My GC's addressed this with "well, it's hard to get a perfectly matched floor" and refused to rectify it before the floors were finished.

Would you even attempt to fix it? Any ideas on how to do it? There is a brick ledge (for lack of a better term) on the foundation wall about two feet directly below the area that correlated to the old outside wall - could we attempt to jack it up?

Thanks!

jimmycrackcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,004

Adjusting Floor Joists?

Not sure it even can be lifted now.
If the hangers were set to low the floors not going to move in that area when it's lifted, it may just lift what ever it's attached to and instead of a low spot you may end up with a hump creating a void under the floor.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Adjusting Floor Joists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcode View Post
Greetings,

We recently had an addition put on our home and we discovered a slight flooring issue that I'm wondering if it can be corrected.

We have about a 4 foot section where the floor dips between the old existing house and the new addition. Other areas of the transition are perfect, but this one happens to be where bar stools go and is noticeable. The dip is about 1/4".

I went into the crawlspace and it's obvious the subfloor is sitting lower, likely the rough carpenters got a little sloppy and mounted the joist hangers (attached to existing house rim joist) a low. I do have new site finished (2.25" oak) hardwood on the entire floor.

My GC's addressed this with "well, it's hard to get a perfectly matched floor" and refused to rectify it before the floors were finished.

Would you even attempt to fix it? Any ideas on how to do it? There is a brick ledge (for lack of a better term) on the foundation wall about two feet directly below the area that correlated to the old outside wall - could we attempt to jack it up?

Thanks!
a few pix of the actual joist that need to be lifted, will help. as well as the area inside the room.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Adjusting Floor Joists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcode
Greetings,

Thanks!
Anything can be attempted to be fixed. Sounds like you have a legal issue with the contractor.

Joists can be jacked up one at a time or two at a time depending on how many have to be jacked. You support them temporarily and remove the joist hangers. Once each joist is jacked to the correct hight....you re-install the joist hangers

When was the addition done?
kwikfishron (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #5

Adjusting Floor Joists?

I'll see if I can get down there a take a few photos. Probably looking at 3-4 joists total to raise.

Addition was completed in July 2011.

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

Adjusting Floor Joists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcode
I'll see if I can get down there a take a few photos. Probably looking at 3-4 joists total to raise.

Addition was completed in July 2011.

Thanks.
6 months old. Your contractor should be fixing thus....not you. Was he a legit contractor.....did you have plans drawn from an architect.....did you have permits and inspections?
Old 01-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #7

Adjusting Floor Joists?

I'm attaching a few photos. On the photo with the finished floor, you can see the floor is almost perfect on the left side as it approaches the kitchen cabinets.

Very legit contractor. 46 years of experience, highly respected among local builders and architects. Good references. Permits, inspections, architectural drawings all complete.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Adjusting Floor Joists?-_mg_5441.jpg   Adjusting Floor Joists?-_mg_5444.jpg   Adjusting Floor Joists?-_mg_5445.jpg  
Old 01-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,478

Adjusting Floor Joists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Anything can be attempted to be fixed. Sounds like you have a legal issue with the contractor.

Joists can be jacked up one at a time or two at a time depending on how many have to be jacked. You support them temporarily and remove the joist hangers. Once each joist is jacked to the correct hight....you re-install the joist hangers

When was the addition done?
I wouldn't bother removing the hangers. Just put some shim material under the joist in the hanger. Of course the nails through the hanger into the joist will need to be pulled.
Willie T (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #9

Adjusting Floor Joists?

Hey jimmy you and everybody else can laugh at me, because I can be funny. I donít know what kind of tools you have, but a golf ball or marbles will aid in checking the floor as you jack the joist up. Marble are more accurate thou.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hardway For This Useful Post:
Willie T (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
Framing Contractor

Adjusting Floor Joists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed

I wouldn't bother removing the hangers. Just put some shim material under the joist in the hanger. Of course the nails through the hanger into the joist will need to be pulled.
Takes 2 minutes to take a joist hanger off. Your already half way there. Why not do it right and take them off....
Old 01-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #11

Adjusting Floor Joists?

Quote:
Takes 2 minutes to take a joist hanger off. Your already half way there. Why not do it right and take them off....

I agree even it you have to buy a few to rplace them.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #12

Adjusting Floor Joists?

Jimmy don't think you are the only one. Also donít think you are a nut for crawling under there and trying to take care of this after you paid somebody to do it in the first place. Because I would try and correct it my self too.

This statement donít mean anything anymore.
"Very legit contractor. 46 years of experience, highly respected among local builders and architects. Good references. Permits, inspections, architectural drawings all complete."

My favorite is:
"You can count on me I have been in business for 20 years and I am not going any where."
Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Adjusting Floor Joists?

Quote:
Of course, this DOES depend upon the particular style of hanger they used. Some cannot be removed unless the joist is first taken all the way out. (an impossibility in this case)
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (01-29-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
Framing Contractor

Adjusting Floor Joists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcode View Post
I'm attaching a few photos. On the photo with the finished floor, you can see the floor is almost perfect on the left side as it approaches the kitchen cabinets.

Very legit contractor. 46 years of experience, highly respected among local builders and architects. Good references. Permits, inspections, architectural drawings all complete.

Thanks!
And yet he won't fix his mistakes.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,048

Adjusting Floor Joists?

trying to adjust the floor joists now that the finished floor is now down is going to be very difficult. everything is all tied toghther now making everything that much stronger

im curious as to how it was missed when the new flooring went down to tie into the house. it can be allowed for when the new hardwood goes down either by using self levelling compound or by using a edger to sand down the subfloor to feather the high points out to create a flat floor.

i would take a long straight edge or a string line which is pulled taught and run them along the problem area. check along the width of the floor both at the new and the old, checking to confirm the joists are low or if there may be a hump in the existing. in the close up photo of the joists you took that there is a joist sistered to the ones sitting in hangers. they do look like hte bottom is lower however its possible that teh suspect joist is actually wider than the ones sitting in joists, which does happen i sometimes get 2x10's that are 9 1/8 and others that are 9 3/8. another thing that may not have been done at the break through point is that squash blocks may not have been put in under the posts supporting the beam for the second floor. if this is the case the posts could be sagging into the floor sheathing and are at risk of going through the floor. this sort of mistake is common if the framing crew is made up of younger less experienced carpenters

my best advice would be to attempt to contact the builder again, if they dont come out and deal with the issue contact your local home warrenty program office. they can help you in the process of getting this dealt with

Last edited by woodworkbykirk; 01-29-2012 at 08:30 PM.
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote