Adjusting Andersen Frenchwood Door - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Adjusting Andersen Frenchwood door

Hi all,

So glad to have found this board as I'm not a DIYer by choice . I have a "old" Frenchwood door swing-in door that desperately needs help! The door is lopsided and the latches are binding.

I have the original instructions that came with the unit and have found similar information on the 'net but I'm still baffled on what I need to adjust and where. I imagine that I could muddle through on my own but it would take quite a long time. Considering it's in the low 20s at the moment my house would be an icebox by the time I was done so any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Here are pics of the 4 corners as they currently fit in the frame. I can see that the bottom left corner is "tighter" than the top left corner but it seems like the right side is uniformly "loose".

Bottom left:

Top left:

Bottom right:

Top right:

I hope these are good enough

Sally (Simon was my dog )

Advertisement

Simon3xUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Home Remodeler

Rewards Points: 154

Looks like the top hinges are not attached properly. Make sure the top hinges have at least one extra long screw that goes into the studs which will pull them closer.

Advertisement

mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

See if you could down load the pdf from anderson it appears as tho the bottom of the door has swelled, by the open but seam of the door. but with the proper adjustment you should be allright. bring the top of the door closer to the hinge side of the jamb. and also bring the door up more to the header. when bringing the door up start with the bottom hinge adjusting it till the door gets raised to where you want it. then adjust the middle hinge until it starts to raise then back off a 1/4 turn. then move to the top hinge and repeat. then move the door out closer to the strike by adjusting the hinge leaf adjusting screwsuntil the door is centerd in the opening. then try the lock. good luck BOB.http://www.andersenwindows.com/servl...&ssbinary=true

Last edited by buletbob; 01-17-2009 at 09:58 PM.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon3xUD View Post
Hi all,

So glad to have found this board as I'm not a DIYer by choice . I have a "old" Frenchwood door swing-in door that desperately needs help! The door is lopsided and the latches are binding.

I have the original instructions that came with the unit and have found similar information on the 'net but I'm still baffled on what I need to adjust and where. I imagine that I could muddle through on my own but it would take quite a long time. Considering it's in the low 20s at the moment my house would be an icebox by the time I was done so any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Here are pics of the 4 corners as they currently fit in the frame. I can see that the bottom left corner is "tighter" than the top left corner but it seems like the right side is uniformly "loose".

Bottom left:

Top left:

Bottom right:

Top right:

I hope these are good enough

Sally (Simon was my dog )
Just an FYI, Andersen Service Center could be called- but there is a fee- I believe it is $132.50 -The center will take a credit Card number over the phone- the number is 1-888-888-7020 the call center is open eastern times I believe 9am to 7pm mon to fri and sat 9am to 3pm -that's if you can not get it adjusted properly- BLUE is correct below -on how too the wrench is a 5/32 allen wrench and is standard
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
See if you could down load the pdf from anderson it appears as tho the bottom of the door has swelled, by the open but seam of the door. but with the proper adjustment you should be allright. bring the top of the door closer to the hinge side of the jamb. and also bring the door up more to the header. when bringing the door up start with the bottom hinge adjusting it till the door gets raised to where you want it. then adjust the middle hinge until it starts to raise then back off a 1/4 turn. then move to the top hinge and repeat. then move the door out closer to the strike by adjusting the hinge leaf adjusting screwsuntil the door is centerd in the opening. then try the lock. good luck BOB.http://www.andersenwindows.com/servl...&ssbinary=true
Ok, so I checked the PDF and it doesn't seem right. It says
Quote:
Check the tightness of the Horizontal Adjusting Screw on all hinges by turning counterclockwise.

Only problem is, the HA screw loosens when I turn it counterclockwise ?! The HA screws on the middle and top hinges do seem to tighten when turned counterclockwise.

Things are going from bad to worse . Sigh...
Old 01-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #6

the hinge could be shot, but from the pictures it appears the door has to go to the strike side. When you lift the handle does it feel as if the door wants to be pulled that way? BOB
Old 01-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #7

Quote:
When you lift the handle does it feel as if the door wants to be pulled that way? BOB
I'm not sure what you mean by that...can you put it in terms that a truly ignorant person (that would be me ) can understand?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #8

I believe I read you said the bottom hinge does not do anything when you adjust it. ( I haven't went back to read your post ) if that's the case then the hinge is defective and should be replaced.
as far as the adjustment, the door should be centered in the opening, which from your pictures it appears it does not. when you lift the door handle to engage all three locking points on the door does it feel as tho the locking lugs want to pull the door to there respective striking plates? if this is the case then the door has to be adjusted so its closer to them. In one of the pictures I can see the locking rail plate that's supposed to be recessed in the side of the door is bowed from the top lug and the bottom latch. that should be straight and flat. If you need more clarification I'll be more then happy to re explain it. BOB.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #9

Quote:
I believe I read you said the bottom hinge does not do anything when you adjust it. ( I haven't went back to read your post ) if that's the case then the hinge is defective and should be replaced.
as far as the adjustment, the door should be centered in the opening, which from your pictures it appears it does not. when you lift the door handle to engage all three locking points on the door does it feel as tho the locking lugs want to pull the door to there respective striking plates? if this is the case then the door has to be adjusted so its closer to them. In one of the pictures I can see the locking rail plate that's supposed to be recessed in the side of the door is bowed from the top lug and the bottom latch. that should be straight and flat. If you need more clarification I'll be more then happy to re explain it. BOB.
Right now, the "adjustments" I've made have only served to put the door more out of whack. The upper right corner now won't clear the frame on closing unless that whole side of the door is lifted. Since my fumbling attempts so far have only worsened the problem, I'm not sure what to do.

I did check the whole locking mechanism and it is firmly within the door. I think what you were seeing was the metal that "lines" the frame. It was accentuated courtesy of the camera flash.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #10

re adjust the door so you can shut it again, then post another picture and i,ll brief you from there, but wont be able to do that until later tonight. unless some else on the forum could help you out in the mean time.
you should still be able to lift the door with the other two hinges even tho the bottom one is bad. good luck Bob
Old 01-18-2009, 05:35 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

I believe the new Frenchwood door hinges are adjustable to lift the door up and down and side to side. There should be a allen screw vertically located where the hinge pins are. This will move the door up and down in the opening. You will have to move all three screws to do this otherwise you are placing unnecessary strain on one or two hinges. There should also be allen screws on the door side of the hinge plate. This will move the door side to side in the opening. As you adjust these screws you can tilt the door left to right. You also need to operate these together. If you move the top over, you also need to relieve some pressure by adjust the middle screw.
You should be able to adjust your door properly now.

Josh Jaros (Jaros Bros. Construction)
jaros bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #12

Thumbs up

Thanks to everyone for their help. I ended up calling an Andersen service rep and he took care of everything .

I don't feel bad about my "failure" because it was pretty much inevitable. Seems that Andersen has 3 generations of hinges for those doors. The 2nd generation is what is in the "pre 2005" PDF. Unfortunately, my door predates that and the function/location of the screws changed between generations.

My hinges (1st generation from the mid-1980s) have 2 horizontal adjustment screws and a single positioning or locking screw in between them. The 2nd generation hinges have a single horizontal adjustment screw and two locking screws on either side so I was trying to adjust using the wrong screws. It's no wonder I wasn't getting anywhere!

Anyway, my door works beautifully now and I'm very happy with the quick response of the Andersen rep and the service he provided. I left a voicemail mid-day yesterday, he called me back within a few hours and was at my home first thing this morning to fix my door. He took the time to explain how the hinges work and gave me a chance to "explore" the engineering. It really is quite amazing.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:04 AM   #13

Thanks for the Info Simon now you have me going to there webb site to do some investigating! I did not know there was there styles of there hinges. Thanks BOB

Advertisement