DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

adjustable wall shelf rail

6K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  bjbatlanta 
#1 · (Edited)
i am looking for ideas on adjustable (dry)wall shelf rail. i am making a recessed shelf box in drywall. there will be two levels of framing involved, fore and rear. the rear framing is needed because the shelf will be too deep for a single level and a greater weight capacity will be required. i would like to affix some sort of minimalist looking vertical railing system to the 2x4s in the back.

i would also like the shelf planks to be as minimalist looking as possible to, most preferably no hinges visible whatsoever but maybe some hooks or something that gets hung on the rail on their back side.

also, will the rails need to be installed before or after DW ?

also, will i need rails on the sides of the shelf or just in the back (as depicted) ?

any ideas ?

thx,

- a -

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Why not just hang finished plywood (birch perhaps) inside the box, caulk and paint it?? No problem attaching your rails on any side if it's 3 sides wood....... If you don't want wood trim around the outside, you can still corner bead and finish. Mud will stick to the plywood. Rails on the back would have to have more obtrusive shelf supports than rails on either side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.