Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #1

Share |
Question

adjoining concrete walkway to another structure

my concrete walkway will go between my driveway slab and basement stairs, both are concrete, and will be adjoined to both.

i have seen some instruction saying that a walkway ought to be spaced from any adjoining structure by a 3/4" board or something.

conversely to that, i was actually planning to anchor the walkway to the top of the stairs by 4 pieces of 1 ft rebar, to prevent heave. is that a bad idea and should i space it away instead.

or instead of spacing, would it be better to adjoin directly but make an expansion joint using an edger ?

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #2

adjoining concrete walkway to another structure

I am no expert, but I would never attach a walkway to a house/garage unless both had the same footers/foundation wall, etc. If the walkway is floating on grade, let it float, but put it on good, compacted gravel that is well drained to minimize movement. My 2 cents. j

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote