DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Adhesive window flashing and 30# felt

10K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Gary in WA 
#1 ·
I've been replacing the windows in my house with new-construction style vinyl windows, and along the way, I have run into some problems with flashing. The current siding is crappy masonite T111 over 15# felt, and no sheathing. At each window I have torn everything off down to the studs, nailed 7/16" OSB sheathing on, and covered over that with 30# felt. I have done a lot of research on felt vs. other house wraps like Tyvek, and decided to go with felt because of it's time-proven results, and I don't like the idea of sealing an old house up too tight and potentially introducing moisture problems down the road.

Anyway, the problem is, at each window I wrap the felt into the rough opening, caulk the flange and install the window, and then add peel-n-stick flashing tape over the flange, shingled from the bottom up. I've found that even in our warm Texas weather, the flashing tape doesn't stick to the 30# felt worth a damn (I'm using Protecto Wrap BT25XL, because that's what my local big box home improvement stores carry). Obviously, when I install the window trim, the nails go through the flashing and it's not going anywhere, but I'm worried that the flashing is not providing a good seal.

Any suggestions for getting the tape to stick better? I've seen some recommendations for using spray glue as a primer. I like the idea of having a strong seal around the windows rather than just lapping the felt over the flanges, but I want to feel confident that it's going to hold up over time. Should I go a different route, like flashing the window directly to the sheathing before adding the 30# felt? How then (other than gravity) would you keep water from moving horizontally back under the felt from the window edges?

See less See more
#2 ·
Get a different membrane material. There are other suppliers that sell this product.
I've never had an issue with that stuff not sticking to felt paper.
Ron

#4 · (Edited)
i personally prefer to have the tape at the sides and head to be stuck directly to the sheathing and the war over that,in my opinion the most important areas are going to be the horizontal elements and they should be protected by shingling not with some sticky tape that may lose it's stickiness over time

i wouldn't be too concerned about sealing the old house up too tight
your goal is to stop air infiltration which can bring moisture into the assembly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.