Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #1

Share |

Adhering Wood steps to Concrete

Hello,

I've signed up to ask a question and I hope someone can give some advice.

We are extending my papa's steps - this will be done by building with wood over most of the existing steps. I do realize this may not be the ideal way of doing it, although it is now a necessity.

The landing will remain concrete - the existing step will be from 11" to 23" and the rise from 6" down to 4" - this will also create a new step the same - 23" to 4". (god I hope this makes sense).

I really don't want to use nails or a lot of big tools - so what is being suggested is an adhesive - but now I reading about moisture barrier.

I would like this to last maybe a couple years - then it may be turned into a ramp -

I appreciate the 'positive' feedback. I really can't be told 'it can't be done' as it 'has to be done' and on a budget, a very small one.

thank you,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IMG_1249.pdf (72.1 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by LouiseR36; 08-12-2010 at 12:20 PM.
LouiseR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #2

Can you attach a picture, preferrably, or at least a drawing?

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #3

Yes I have attached one now.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #4

Sorry; I later noticed the paper clip, so came back and saw the attachment that I missed the first time. I understand now. What about the step from the landing to the house? That appears to be 6", or close to it, as well. Am going to have to think about it a bit, but maybe someone else will come along in the mean time.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #5

don't apologize, i didn't attach it until you asked
UH, the 'landing' is not going to be touched, except for the indent right underneath the door, we are just going to put a piece of wood under there (adhesiving somehow) so that he doesn't catch it anymore with his toe.
The rise 6" from the landing to the second step will become 4" and we'll build it out 23" instead of the 11" it is now, which I'm told because we do that, we'll have to create a whole new step rise 4" and out again 23". We only have the 47" area to build out from as there is a drier vent and a hose connection there.
I have a contractor who is going to draw up the picture for my Aunt and I, and also tell me the materials. Where we gone aray is adhesiving it to the concrete.
The existing steps are very old, and I am worried about drilling into them. So, I was hoping to find a adhesive that would connect the wood to the concrete but try to do it properly to last a while. Doesn't have to last 20 yrs. We do realize we are 'not doing this absolutely correctly' but papa needs a lower rise and more of a step to eventually put his walker on, and also future ability to convert what we build into a ramp, if need be.
I do appreciate your help.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #6

Glad to hear that you have a contractor involved, to ensure that everything is as it should be. I would see what his or her plans say in regard to this, but frankly, I would not be concerned about drilling into the concrete, assuming that it is consistent with the plans.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #7

May I send you a brief private message? (If so, you will need to change your settings to allow it.)
Old 08-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #8

I don't know how to change that setting, I've looked but can't find it. Can you just send me an email? am I allowed to give that out here?
Just a small note to clarify - the contractor is only drawing me the picture and advising on materials to build - he is a fellow we use at work. The actual work is being done by me (not a construction type) and my Aunt who is 65, quite handy though.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #9

Click on "User CP" toward the top of the page, then on "edit options" on the left side, then scroll down to where it says "enable private messaging", and put a check mark in that box.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #10

i tried that, although I don't have a box that enable private messaging - only v card and administrator to send emails.

Last edited by LouiseR36; 08-12-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #11

There is such a small height variance from the patio to the door sill height, I would just build a ramp now as the steps you state would not be to the building code.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #12

Hi Ron,
Thank you for your response - unfortunately papa will not allow a ramp at this time, he doesn't even want the steps changed. and no, they are most definiately not to code, but they only have to last while he does and he's currently 93.
Thank you,