Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Addtion Qustions

Hello all,

I am considering adding to our master bedroom, basically turning it into a master suite. Our house is 1400 square feet and am thinking of adding approximately 250 square feet to our bedroom doubling it in size. I am in the research phase and have concluded that the square footage/value falls into my neighborhoods norms.

Since my wife and I love the neighborhood, and research has shown our mortgage would increase 50 to 70% for what we want in a home if we moved, this seems like a logical choice, the question I have is:

Can I find contractors to build to a weather tight condition? I can complete the rest my self.

If so, what would be a rough cost estimate on completing to this stage? Considerations include a concrete slab tied into existing (no grading involved) tied into a hip roof, with a matching hip roof design. 2 small windows and a french door, composition roof and some sort of wood siding. No interior work needed at all, the wall that would need to be taken down is 14’ with brick exterior, easy access to back yard.

I know there’s more involved, permits and such, but am trying to get a very rough estimate to verify if this is a viable solution.

Thanks, Rick

Mavrick331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

Addtion Qustions

The cost estimate would be dependent on local conditions obviously, but if the addition will not out price your house for the neighborhood and you like the area and plan to stay for awhile then its a wise move.

Figure 10-15K for a move versus putting 25-30K into your house. The money will be invested in your house instead of real estate fees and moving expenses.

In otherwords, your money spent will still be yours just in a different investment.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:24 AM   #3
Master Procrastinator

Rewards Points: 10

Addtion Qustions

Yes you should be able to find contractors to take it as far as being "dried in". Especially with the crunch in the housing market. I would get a few bids and be clear about what exactly you want in order to best compare them.
mtaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:48 AM   #4
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Addtion Qustions

Your looking for a shell contractor, finding them should be quite easy.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:52 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Addtion Qustions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick331 View Post
Can I find contractors to build to a weather tight condition? I can complete the rest my self.
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick331 View Post
If so, what would be a rough cost estimate on completing to this stage?
Call around and get some estimates from reputable contractors. You need to get an "on-site" evaluation of your hopes.

(There may be some issues that you could be missing that could add cost when attaching to the existing structure. We have, multiple times, gone in and consulted with a property owner and found major hurdles with the property vs. their ideas = More $, or, a "no-go" on their concept).

Unlike used cars, there's no "blue-Book" value to what remodeling and additions will cost on a specific home, in a specific region, built with specific materials...
Thus, it is impossible to give accurate estimates on the internet. Regions vary by code requirements = +/-$$. Contractors vary by regional pricing = +/-$$. Materials chosen vary greatly in cost = +/-$$...etc.
A bedroom addition as you speak of could cost $20K....it could cost $80K, with nicer materials and additional matters, it could cost $100K+

Estimates are generally free.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-11-2008 at 06:00 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Addtion Qustions

And there definitely will be some grading to do. The fact that you are unaware of this, means you need some help to find a good contractor at this stage to define the scope of work that you will send out for bids.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #7

Addtion Qustions

You're going to have to invest in some sort of plans to get anything in the form of a estimate from a contractor that has any meaning. That includes finish materials, windows, interior doors,etc. The more time you invest in this stage, the more accurate the estimated cost will be. Then, still be prepared to add 10-15% to the overall budget for surprises.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #8

Addtion Qustions

FWIW: We advise a our clients to be prepared to add a minimum of 20% or more (based on the scope and complexity of a specific project)...
Old 01-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Addtion Qustions

Of course it's hard to visualize or totally understand from where I am, but two hip roofs side by side and held up by the same wall. I see some difficulties here. Water would just love to sit in that 'V'. Perhaps you could put in a 'Blind California Valley' on the existing house side. Just hard for me to see what you have to work with.
SeanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #10

Addtion Qustions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR View Post
Of course it's hard to visualize or totally understand from where I am, but two hip roofs side by side and held up by the same wall. I see some difficulties here. Water would just love to sit in that 'V'. Perhaps you could put in a 'Blind California Valley' on the existing house side. Just hard for me to see what you have to work with.
ummm, I think this got posted on the wrong thread...
Old 01-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #11

Addtion Qustions

Quote:
Considerations include a concrete slab tied into existing (no grading involved) tied into a hip roof, with a matching hip roof design
ummm, I think not....
Old 01-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #12

Addtion Qustions

Quote:

ummm, I think not....
Ohh, sorry, I missed the OP portion towards the end that mentioned the roof information... (I didn't realize that, and thought you were posting a reply to a roofing question in the wrong thread) =
Old 01-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #13

Addtion Qustions

So, whatcha think Atlantic, about the roofs I mean. Should this be a consideration?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:40 PM   #14

Addtion Qustions

Quote:
So, whatcha think Atlantic, about the roofs I mean. Should this be a consideration?
Roof lines are always a major consideration, that's why plans are drawn up before the hammers are picked up. Any Architect worth his pay will integrate the rooflines as a matter of course.
The internet request for prices on this work is just naive on the part of the poster. The issues are so diverse that it would be impossible to accuractely quote anything relevant. Best case is that he finds a contractor willing to work through the theories of he project for a best guess scenario. But that's all it will be without detailed plans.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:34 AM   #15

Addtion Qustions

Quote:
As touched on already by Ron, "tying-in" any roof system to an existing rooof, has it's specific complexities and possible issues. There are many factors that come into play.
The soffits and eaves of the new addition have to line up with the existing home's. (Dimensions and designs can complicate that, home owner's ideas can complicate that)
Tying in a roof so as to have the proper pitch and drainage can creat all kinds of issues.
Example: We had a client that wanted to add connected farmer's porches onto two sides of an attached garage (that had been converted into living space). Like so many owners, he thought it would be a simple concept. After studying the area (main house, garage, exterior alcoves, grade of the land, driveway placement, issues with the "converted garage", existing smoke stack placements, drainage patterns of the existing roof(s), etc, etc,....we realized that the entire roof of that end of the home, would have to be removed and re-built (along with the porches), in order to create proper pitching and remove any possible areas that could create water pooling and ice damming. = +$$$+

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-18-2008 at 02:37 AM.