Additional Waterproofing - Free Standing Deck And Above Ground Pool - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2015, 07:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Additional Waterproofing - Free Standing Deck and Above Ground Pool

Hi everyone,

We are building a very small free standing deck to stand flush with an above ground pool. The deck platform itself will only be approx. 6x6, and just big enough for people to get in and out of the pool. The deck boards are composite, and the framing is pressure treated wood.

Is there anything else I can do for additional waterproofing of the deck posts and joists? Someone suggested applying roofing tar to the bottom of the posts where they meet the concrete footer, but I also understand that could potentially lock in additional moisture.

Is there any kind of "gutter system" that anyone has seen that would redirect the water that splashes out of the pool as people get in and out?

Just curious as to what people have seen before, and what suggestions you can offer.

Thanks!

Advertisement

BigNick183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 282

Additional Waterproofing - Free Standing Deck and Above Ground Pool

I have had a small deck (4x6) on a pool that has lasted 30 years. I have had to replace the deck boards and also the vertical posts that contact the ground once. Every other year I re stained the deck boards. Underneath every 5 years or so - but its in great shape.

I would make sure the deck posts (where they contact the ground) are elevated so they can never sit in water. Not sure about the coating - I would think it could cause moisture to seal in it. I would just seal it if it was cut with a good stain.

I'm also careful to tighten up any bolts every year at opening and closing.

I also have 2 inch patio stones in a sand base under the deck - so it is higher than the surrounding grass.

Advertisement

Last edited by tribe_fan; 06-10-2015 at 09:44 AM. Reason: addiing
tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
above ground pool , deck , deck boards , deck column , waterproofing