Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2007, 02:55 PM   #1

Share |

Addition on slab

My wife and I are looking at building an addition onto our home. To make things simple, we were thinking about enclosing our carport (550 sq ft) which already consists of a concrete slab and full/attached roof. With the slab and roof in place already, to my inexperienced eye, it seems that all I need to do is frame the walls, run electricity, drywall, etc. Not that that is any small list of tasks! But I'm hoping that I can reduce the costs considerably by using what is already there.

My question is, do I save anything with the slab/roof already there? The obvious answer on the roof is "yes", but I'm afraid that I may have to build up on the slab anyway. How much time/$$ do you think I can save by going this route? (I live in southern Indiana.)

Thanks!

-Eric

ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Addition on slab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
My wife and I are looking at building an addition onto our home. To make things simple, we were thinking about enclosing our carport (550 sq ft) which already consists of a concrete slab and full/attached roof. With the slab and roof in place already, to my inexperienced eye, it seems that all I need to do is frame the walls, run electricity, drywall, etc. Not that that is any small list of tasks! But I'm hoping that I can reduce the costs considerably by using what is already there.

My question is, do I save anything with the slab/roof already there? The obvious answer on the roof is "yes", but I'm afraid that I may have to build up on the slab anyway. How much time/$$ do you think I can save by going this route? (I live in southern Indiana.)

Thanks!

-Eric
Whether this can be done is dictated by your region of the country and your local codes. Where I live, a concrete freezewall is required, rather than a slab... for such a structure...
I do not know if this is your case?

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-06-2007 at 06:04 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
Construction Guru

Addition on slab

The simple answer is that you can save a reasonable amount. However, you'll need to do some additional research. First off, you'll need to dig around the edges to see how thick your slab is, whether or not it will serve as suitable footing. Secondly, the carport roof/ceiling is probably not insulated, so you will need to do that as you close it in. If you can build on the slab, using it as the floor, and simply insulate the ceiling, you could probably cut your cost by 30 to 40% I would think.
sheeter is offline   Reply With Quote