DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Addition foundation forming cheaply...

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  MLO 
#1 ·
I will be forming near 60ft.(120ft. both sides) of foundation off existing structure. It will have 8in.tall footings and 20" tall walls. Current foundation on home is 9" thick as it has a roman bricked exterior (will match). Current wall frame is 2x4's and new walls will be 2x6's. Does this mean I add 2 inches to the thickness of the new foundation wall for a brick ledge (9"+2"=11" thick)?

What is the most cost affective way of forming this? Time I have, money I need to be prudent with. Rental forms seem to be a hassle for this kind of project and not cheap.

TIA!

#5 ·
After some research, it appears it will be cheaper to just rent 1 1/8" form panels.

The existing foundation is 9" wide for the exterior brick wall to be built on. I was going to continue this "extra-wide" foundation wall, but have been told to just use the 6" wall called for on the prints and let the masons use "blocks" to build up the footer/wall for the new brick wall to rest on. Seems the cost of a little more concrete in this case would certainly save some labor and be stronger down the road...any opinions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.