Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
MLO

Rewards Points: 75

Addition foundation forming cheaply...

I will be forming near 60ft.(120ft. both sides) of foundation off existing structure. It will have 8in.tall footings and 20" tall walls. Current foundation on home is 9" thick as it has a roman bricked exterior (will match). Current wall frame is 2x4's and new walls will be 2x6's. Does this mean I add 2 inches to the thickness of the new foundation wall for a brick ledge (9"+2"=11" thick)?

What is the most cost affective way of forming this? Time I have, money I need to be prudent with. Rental forms seem to be a hassle for this kind of project and not cheap.

TIA!

MLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
MLO

Considering the actual size of the foundation is fairly small, I am interested in a possible monolithic style forming and pour. Can anyone lead me to a place on the net where I can see such a form set-up?

Old 05-23-2006, 09:22 PM   #3
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

You don't state where you are. I would suggest consulting with your local bld. dept. for the requirements on your slab.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:51 AM   #4
MLO

No slab, just a footing and foundation wall. Climate is mild and soil is very stable.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:43 PM   #5
MLO

After some research, it appears it will be cheaper to just rent 1 1/8" form panels.

The existing foundation is 9" wide for the exterior brick wall to be built on. I was going to continue this "extra-wide" foundation wall, but have been told to just use the 6" wall called for on the prints and let the masons use "blocks" to build up the footer/wall for the new brick wall to rest on. Seems the cost of a little more concrete in this case would certainly save some labor and be stronger down the road...any opinions?