Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2008, 05:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

addition costs in maine

I would like to know what the sq. foot costs of adding a 20x 20 addition to my house. I am trying to decide which would be cheaper, going out on a slab, or up another floor, I'd like a new master bedroom and bath. I have yet to find any cost estimates that are reflecting today's economy.

kathy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

addition costs in maine

The problem with your question is it's too wide open, way too many variables. How many doors and what types of doors? How many windows and what types of windows?

How old is the house, electric and plumbing? Brick or what type of exterior siding? What type of roof, what pitch?

Is the ground level, how much grading is necessary?

There really are a lot more questions that would need answering, those just come to mind quickly.

Jeeper1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

addition costs in maine

[quote I have yet to find any cost estimates that are reflecting today's economy.[/quote]

that statement there says alot. You asked what it would cost, sounds like you've gotten estimates but you feel they are too high.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

addition costs in maine

Hi, No, I have not gotten any estimates. As to the other response, you're so right, there are many more questions for me to consider. The house was built in 1990. There is a flat area available to put a slab on if that's the way to go. The house is heated by oil, forced hot water. I think the plumbing, since it's ajacent/below, wouldn't be too difficult. As you might have guessed, I am in the learning stage of all this. As for roof, it's metal and I have no idea the pitch. Siding is cedar shingles.

Thanks. Kathy
kathy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

addition costs in maine

Since this is a DIY-oriented site, requests for square foot prices to have something built are strongly discouraged.

If you're looking for regionally-based square foot costs, I'd suggest looking for a 2008 copy of Means Residential Building Construction Cost Data at a bookstore or library.

Contacting contractors in your area is the only accurate way to know what the project will cost you.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote