Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Adding a window - cutting through Aluminum Siding -how to repair siding to look good?

I want to add a small window to a bathroom. To do so, I need to cut through the wall, including the aged aluminum siding.

I'm confident with my ability to tear a gaping hole in the wall but my wife wants to be sure that the siding doesn't look like a ragged mess after I've plugged the hole with the new window.

(I'm not in a position to replace the siding - or even just those panels - because it's old & weathered; I'd end up having to redo the entire house...)

Anyway - I've searched the net & can't find the answer. I need advice on how to handle cutting the hole in the siding & what to buy to finish the window so it looks professional when I'm done.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

DyerWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Theres more then one way.

Rewards Points: 150

Adding a window - cutting through Aluminum Siding -how to repair siding to look good?

I didnt cut a window opening, but did rip up the side of my house which has aluminum and it did not come out too bad.

I nailed a 2x4 on the out side and used it as a fence then ran the circler saw up the side (there was also asbosed shingles on the side so i just tossed the saw blade after cause it was shot (dont tell the epa)).

[EDIT]
What ever you do, if you use a saw you want to make sure the siding does not "flap" when you are cutting it. I would try and hold down the siding which will be on the out-side of the window (being the inside stuff wont matter cause it will be remove).

_

My current learning experience - 22x22 addition - Work shop, music-room, master bedroom above..

Last edited by iMisspell; 12-20-2008 at 07:26 PM.
iMisspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

I use a fine toothed blade, mounted backwards in my circular saw. Set to cut deep enough, just to cut the aluminum. You start with a plunge cut. I was taught this by a friend who used this technique to cut asbestos siding! Of course he's long gone now! Died of lung cancer!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 272

And to finish off the rough edge that remains, you could use vinyl J-channel available at your local hardware store. This will give you a nice smooth, straight edge to butt up to your window or window trim.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

since the siding can't be replaced, and you need to be extra carefull with it, remove it from the top down to below the new window location. Easy to do without any damage. Once the new window is done and flashed(important), reinstall the siding and cut where needed. Add new J-channel.

Trying to fit things into a precut hole and be sure the new window is properly flashed is VERY difficult. This makes it easy, although it may take a bit longer.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

From the photo & JustBill's suggestion - do you all think it would be better to remove the siding before I cut through the wall - or just cut through the wall & siding all at once?

I've never removed siding - is it difficult?
DyerWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerWolf View Post
From the photo & JustBill's suggestion - do you all think it would be better to remove the siding before I cut through the wall - or just cut through the wall & siding all at once?

I've never removed siding - is it difficult?
Its best to remove the siding, but it can be difficult, as its likely that the soffit may have to be removed also. Usually the siding has to be removed over a larger area than the window opening, to allow for mounting of the window. Depending on the window! And how its to be trimmed! So, the opening in the aluminum will be larger than the opening for the window itself! If you choose to remove the siding, I have found that its best to drill into the nail heads and remove the heads, rather than try to pull the nails. Pulling usually damages the siding!

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote