Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2012, 05:55 AM   #1

Share |
Adding a window

My wife and I want to add windows to out two upstairs bathrooms. I plan on having the windows installed by the company that is doing our siding this fall. But I want to save some money by doing the rough opening myself so all they need to do is put the window in (I have no desire to do that part my self 20 feet off the ground).
My question is if I build a rough opening with 2x4's as a frame and set it into place, does it sit in line with the existing studs or is it off set a bit either to the inside or the outside, and if so by how much? Thanks.

Jim1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #2

Adding a window

Depending on the size of your window, you probably will need to remove at least one stud.

Centering between studs will depend on exactly how you want the window to be positioned in a given wall.

PS. For your rough opening, you will need to go on a ladder from the outside, remove siding, underlayment. You can probably cut from the inside but you will need to install a temporary cover from the outside.

Good luck

allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Framing Contractor

Adding a window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1962 View Post
My wife and I want to add windows to out two upstairs bathrooms. I plan on having the windows installed by the company that is doing our siding this fall. But I want to save some money by doing the rough opening myself so all they need to do is put the window in (I have no desire to do that part my self 20 feet off the ground).
My question is if I build a rough opening with 2x4's as a frame and set it into place, does it sit in line with the existing studs or is it off set a bit either to the inside or the outside, and if so by how much? Thanks.
Is it a load bearing wall?
user1007 (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Adding a window

You are going to need a header to replace the structure you remove. Just to start. If it is a bearing wall and you are putting a hole in it, you are making a major structural change and will probably need at a least a quick drawing, sign-off, permit and inspection.

I know you want to save some money but my instinctive feathers are ruffled by your approach. Are you sure it is worth doing this yourself?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #5

Adding a window

On a second story I'd be setting up two ladders, ladder stand offs, and a walk board to work off of. Hard to remove siding with just one ladder.
What type siding do you have.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Adding a window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1962 View Post

you will want exact dimensions from the window manufacturer and even then they are sometimes not right, windows and doors are one of the worst things to go wrong in construction, especially add in later windows and doors. You will also need to know how to header off the opening and will need to pull drywall from the wall - floor to ceiling - to get full length studs and jacks added into the wall around the openings. Obviously you will want to fit the opening into the wall without moving as much structure as possible- meaning, cutting the header into the wall from one side etc...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #7

Adding a window

One thing to consider here:

You could technically do the opening from the inside without risking your life over a 20' drop. I imagine you could simply just cut out the drywall where the windows will go, and take the project from there...
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #8

Adding a window

Could do the rough opening from the inside leaving the sheeting and siding for now, then when they are residing they could cut out the plywood in the opening, nail the edges, and install the housewrap, flashings and wdw.

Not an impossible job at all.
But you are changing structure, and have to take things into account.

Can you show pictures of inside and outside of house where wdw's will be going? Also size of windows?
What siding is on the house now?
Is this window above a toilet, tub, vanity or some other thing?
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #9

Adding a window

Here is an idea of the framing you need in the wall. use 2x4 or 2x6 or whatever your existing wall has for studs.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
Mod

Adding a window

If you have the inside of the bathroom wall already opened up for other reasons then I can see this being a worthwhile project , otherwise I'd leave it to the siding guys.

You shouldn't be removing siding and opening up the wall unless it can be all put back together (leak free) the same day.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #11

Adding a window

No need to open wall to frame from the inside, leave the sheeting and siding intact until siding guys come, the rest can be done from the inside.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
Mod

Adding a window

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
No need to open wall to frame from the inside, leave the sheeting and siding intact until siding guys come, the rest can be done from the inside.
What??? Not if it's a bearing wall that needs a solid header, the new hole in an existing wall can be done from the outside without unnecessarily disturbing anything on the inside.

In other words, no drywall work necessary if the window all trims in wood.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #13

Adding a window

That is true, For some reason I thought they were doing work in the bath rooms as well, perhaps you are right and they are just adding the windows. May be easiest and best to do it from the outside then.

Tags
add window, bathroom window addition