Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding vented soffiting

My ranch house (w/hips) was built back in the 60's and had aluminum soffiting put on then (at least I assume then, as it's sure showing its age). There's only about a half dozen vented pieces for the whole 2000 sq foot place, though. Is there a way to replace solid ones with vented ones that won't require me to redo the whole thing? Are there soffit vents I can add to aluminum soffiting without bending it?

I've installed soffiting new, so I'm pretty sure there isn't way to do this, but thought I'd ask in case anyone knew a technique or product that could help.

Thanks!

dmozingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Adding vented soffiting

Not too familiar with aluminum soffits, but I don't see any reason that you couldnt use snips to cut rectangular holes in the soffit. The holes could be covered with standard metal/mesh soffit vents and screwed in place with tek screws. Not too difficult!

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #3

Adding vented soffiting

I'd considered something along those lines, but with it being a ranch, I was hoping for something a little more appealing to the eye.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #4

Adding vented soffiting

Like what? Soffit vents are soffit vents aren't they?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #5

Adding vented soffiting

They are, but cutting out the holes aren't going to leave very nice edges in most cases, and something tells me seeing a hole with metal screening over it would look a bit ghetto, wouldn't it? Maybe it's because I've just never seen it done before...
Old 07-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Adding vented soffiting

I would drill 2" holes in and then pop in circle vents into them. It'd look clean when done.

I dont know the exact name of these vents, but I bought a bag once for a project to where I had to mount an electrical device in a large sealed PVC Box. I drilled holes on each side and popped these in for ventilation.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Adding vented soffiting

If you are careful you can use a good bi metal hole saw but 2" holes would not work for standard round grilles. You might also want to determine your vent requirement and rooftop venting before you plunge in. Ther is a correct ratio per square foot and a correct balance betrween sofffit and rooftop for best ventilation.
You can cut soffiting or if you are careful you may be able to remove a panel. and install a new one with more perforations. Be sure to inspect behind to make sure the plywood is either removed or has been opened up to allow for air flow. With only 6 panels you may find you need to at least double the current venting.
Also look into liners which run from thew soffit area up past your insulation to enhance breathing in the attic. they should be added every 3rd joist/rafter space.
Do it right, the house will be cooler and the attic drier
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #8

Adding vented soffiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmozingo View Post
They are, but cutting out the holes aren't going to leave very nice edges in most cases, and something tells me seeing a hole with metal screening over it would look a bit ghetto, wouldn't it? Maybe it's because I've just never seen it done before...
It would look ghetto if you just put screen over it! No, I'm talking about pre-made screen soffit vents, which are framed in metal and can be painted. The metal edging would easily cover the cut edges of the aluminum and would result in a clean appearance. Every building supply store on the planet sells them for a couple bucks...They're about 16x8".

It would take a heck of a lot of 2" holes to properly vent an attic, that's for sure! The small screen vents are typically used for venting columns and small concealed spaces to minimize the chance for rot due to lack of airflow.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #9

Adding vented soffiting

Yea, good call about the pre-made vents thekctermite. You mean the ones normally put in normal plywood soffiting, or are there lighter weight ones I should screw to the aluminum? Hadn't thought about doing that, and I'm thinking it's the only reasonable solution besides redoing it all - and I really don't want to! Ridge/pot vents are good, but I know I'm not even to a quarter of what the intake should be.

Thanks for the ideas guys!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:59 PM   #10

Adding vented soffiting

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. These are copper (never seen that before) but most are aluminum. They're commonly used on wood soffits but with sheet metal screws they could easily be attached to aluminum.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2009, 12:43 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 516

Adding vented soffiting

where ya located,,,I have a whole box of NEW alum vents like termites copper ones. I will NEVER use them but they are too good to throw away.

My first vote is take it ALL down and replace with vented soffit ALL the way around. Isnt such a bad job,,,goes real quick after a bit. specially if you have a cutter and a installer.

Even a 14 year old kid would be able to cut a panel with a pattern established,,probably even younger,,if they can draw a straight trace line and snip one. Would make a terific family project!!

whole project hinges on a bit of how old soffit was attached. In my opinion,,,alot like yours,its cheesy to do any thing else and STILL wont give you enough air volume!!!

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, soffiting, vents