Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Adding a Sunroom - Need some advice

We would like to add a sunroom off our MBR but I wanted to get some feedback first. Dimension will be 16'x16'. It will have a cathedral roof with about a 3 - 3 1/2 pitch. We plan to to shingle all but 12'x8' where we want to have Four Seasons install one of their glass roofs with the Conservaglass Plus window units that appear to be very energy efficient (2 large glass units on the low end of the roof and 2 above it toward the peak. Much better viewing of the sky and outdoors over skylights. On the gable end we will have 3 sets of dual casement windows that will be 65" tall x 54" wide. On each side wall we will have 2 32" full light doors and 2 65" tall x 36" wide single casements. All casements will be Anderson 400 Low E, Argon, and have the high Performance Sun option. Will we also add a ductless heat pump for heating and cooling. Our suroom will be off the rear of the house which faces South so it does get a lot of sun. We are in Va so get hot/humid summers in the 80's and 90's and cool but not horribly cold winters (highs a lot of times are in the 40's and 50's.

Do you think we are asking for trouble with the partial glass roof even though the roof is from Four Seasons and seems to be efficient. The sunroom will be completely stick built. Do you think we need 2x6 walls or are 2x4 walls okay. Rest of house is 2x4. Any opinions on the roof itself. This is the area I don't know if it will make the room unbearable in the summer and winter. Thanks

Todd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Adding a Sunroom - Need some advice

I have built sunrooms for over 20 yrs. Temo inc. in Mount Clemens Michigan(temosunrooms.com) while i'm not at all connected to this company , they have comparible if not better products than four seasons. one thing to keep in mind. Glass "IS" your biggest heat loss or gain in any building project. so plan on running the heck out of the a/c and heat source. these are nice porch options how ever they are still a porch. Also any hole in roof(skylight or glass roof panels ) will eventually leak. there is nothing that the Sun cannont break down over time(caulking, seals ect..) my recomendation is a nice room addition vs a sunroom, since both are costly. these are my personal opinions, to each their own!

big daddy-o is offline   Reply With Quote