Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #1

Share |

adding a step

The threshold over hangs the foundation and is now is starting to break off. I was thinking of adding a cement step to support the threshold. Should I drill holes and add rebar to hold the step in place? What would be the best solution to the problem?

Last edited by Barnell; 02-01-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: removed photo
Barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

adding a step

Sorry, I don't understand the what the problem is and I don't know what that is in the picture.

Is that in the crawl space?

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #3

adding a step

build a step out of 2x12's much much cheaper
proremodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #4

adding a step

Looks to me like someone used a 2x6 wall thickness door in a 2x4 wall? I'm assuming we're looking at the underside of a door threshold, and the side of the door jamb. Wierd.

Yes, you can pour a concrete step there pretty easily. If you want to tie it to the wall you could epoxy a couple pieces of all-thread or rebar into the wall and pour the concrete in a form with some simple reinforcement. The step can't exceed 7-3/4" in height, and the two rises (or three) must be consistent within 3/8" of each other to meet code. The step must project at least 10" horizontally off the nose of that threshold as well.

I would personally build it from treated lumber, but I'm more of a carpenter than a flatworker!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #5

adding a step

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
Sorry, I don't understand the what the problem is and I don't know what that is in the picture.

Is that in the crawl space?

Andy.
The photo is the bottom of the door over hanging the wall. I want to add a step to support the bottom part so it doesn’t break off.

How should I attach the treated wood? Just use an epoxy or bolt into place? I have the same issue on an outside door can I attach the wood the same way or do I need some type of weather barrier?
Barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #6

adding a step

You can attach to the foundation with wedge anchors. You will need a hammer drill to drill any hole into the concrete, regardless of the anchor you choose. Epoxy alone won't do the job.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote