Adding A Stem Wall To A Building On Slab - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2011, 11:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Adding a stem wall to a building on slab

I have a studio apartment on my property that is built on a slab. There is a concrete patio that is at very near the the same elevation as the slab at one corner of the building. I am planning to add a small stem wall at the corner so I can get the siding elevated and away from the water that runs across the patio.

I am planning to dowel the existing slab to secure it to the stem wall and new bottom plate that will go on top of it. Is there something that I need to do to get a good seal (to keep the water out) between the slab and the stem wall? How can I support the corner to the building when I have the framing cut back to pore the new stem wall?

Thanks for any help

Dave

Advertisement

Dave K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Can you post pics?

Advertisement

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #3

Will post pictures later today.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K View Post
I am planning to dowel the existing slab to secure it to the stem wall and new bottom plate that will go on top of it. Is there something that I need to do to get a good seal (to keep the water out) between the slab and the stem wall? How can I support the corner to the building when I have the framing cut back to pore the new stem wall?

Thanks for any help

Dave

There is a product called "water-stop" that is for new application. It's 6 or 8" tall flexible rubber-type substance that simply gets placed in the slab or footing when it's wet, and subsequently the wall gets poured around it. Doesn't sound like the right product for your case, as it seems like the slab is already there.

This is another great product, which is far better suited for your situation. The only problem is that it isn't cheap and you need a specialized gun to apply it.

And before you ask, no, I don't know of an easier or cost effective way to do it, and yes, I do realize it's only a small amount of material you need for the cost you will need to put out. Good luck.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #5

Finally got some pictures of the area I need to change to deal with the water issue. The area to the right of the sliding door is slab/siding at patio elevation. This is at the bottom of a sloped area so there is really no easy way to keep all water away from it. Lucky after the wall makes it to the next corner the patio slopes down enough that I can cut the siding a little higher and fix the water issues there so it is just the walls each side of the corner that are in issue.

Please let me know what you all think I should do with this area.

Thanks

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a stem wall to a building on slab-0138.jpg   Adding a stem wall to a building on slab-0139.jpg   Adding a stem wall to a building on slab-0140.jpg  
Old 06-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #6

How should I support the corner of the building when I have the plate and framing cut away?

How can I make a water proof seal between the slab and the new stem wall I poor?

Is there an easier way to deal with the water that I am not thinking about?

Please help me

Thanks

Dave
Old 06-04-2011, 07:38 AM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Sorry, I forgot the link in the last post for the material used to mate the two surfaces together:

http://domochemica.com/en/index2.php...d=11&Itemid=36
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #8

I am thinking I might be able to cut the siding a little higher and make some kind of a water barrier our of some kind of sealant or something?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

Advertisement