Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding Second Floor over my Livingroom

I have a large open living room that both my wife and i hate due to the waisted space and the noise from the TV's. We want to make another floor above it in order to have two rooms "both offices" since we both work from home. The size of our living room is around 30 x 20. I am going to have a contractor come look at it in order to draw up some specs for us but i wanted to know if anyone here had done anything like this?

I did some searches on here and found one post but it was not very helpful. We do not want anything fancy. If anyone has done this or had it done i would like to know how much it cost as well. I have no idea if this will cost me 4000 or 40,000. If anyone knows a ballpark let me know.

hartnessjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,916

I've done it----your best plan---PLANS----get a designer or architect involved--then you own the drawings and can get several prices based on the exact same work---

You will need: Architect---electrician---carpenter---drywaller---painter----

Old 12-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I've done it----your best plan---PLANS----get a designer or architect involved--then you own the drawings and can get several prices based on the exact same work---

You will need: Architect---electrician---carpenter---drywaller---painter----
also maybe HVAC, Plumber

Or just get a GC and he/she looks after the rest.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartnessjr View Post
I have a large open living room that both my wife and i hate due to the waisted space and the noise from the TV's. We want to make another floor above it in order to have two rooms "both offices" since we both work from home. The size of our living room is around 30 x 20. I am going to have a contractor come look at it in order to draw up some specs for us but i wanted to know if anyone here had done anything like this?

I did some searches on here and found one post but it was not very helpful. We do not want anything fancy. If anyone has done this or had it done i would like to know how much it cost as well. I have no idea if this will cost me 4000 or 40,000. If anyone knows a ballpark let me know.
Add-a-levels are done every day. You have to have an architect or engineer tell you what needs to be done.

As far as price is concerned, that cannot be answered here. People can come on here and tell you what the paid, but that means nothing to you a cannot even come close to telling you what you would pay or give you a ballpark number. Ballpark numbers don't exist over the internet and if you are given one its only misleading you.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

I too want to add a second floor addition. I am in the process of getting a structural engineer lined up to see what it will take to support the second floor. My house was built in 65. I am not sure if the concrete foundation wall is strong enough, I am assuming not So I figure I will need to strength the first floor to support the second. What I am thinking about is using steel I beams inside the house (like pylons) and supporting the second floor with these strategically positioned beams, then using wood beams on top of the steel. I figure using this would be easier than the potential to have to dig out the entire perimeter of the house to shore up the foundation, then use supporting wood beams, etc. Thoughts?
rchanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,916

Most likely,the foundation will be just fine.

Your structural engineer and designer Might use I-joists that are strong enough ans long enough to span the entire width of the house---this would place all the weight of the addition on the outside walls of the house.

Just wait and see what can be done with the designer or architect---

rchanne (12-30-2012)