Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Adding a Second 4-piece to a Second Floor

We just bought a house with 4+1 bedrooms and only ONE BATHROOM.

Not good for 4 women in one house.

I wanted to know if its possible to add a second four piece (bath stall, sink, toilet) by tying it into the existing bathroom's 'stack' (that's the vent and drain system in the wall yes?)

We already know we can convert the wet bar in the basement relatively easily into a powder room in the future - we've heard its been done before (and we're hoping we're not just stupid people :P).

Could someone familiar with building code (hopefully in ontario,canada?) give me some feedback on this plan? The worst case scenario would be to find a way to add another 'stack' I guess, but since the bathroom being added to the master bedroom is so close to the existing - we were kind of hoping it was possible to use what has already been put in.

noctame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hi and welcome to the forum.

With the info you've given us, I'd guess yes, you can. More details are necessary.

DM

Old 05-14-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Full time DIY

Rewards Points: 25

It's possible to tie in to an existing stack, but, without additional details it's difficult to provide a definitive yes/no for your situation. You are going to need building permits to do what you want to do and your architect should be able to help you determine if a) your house will support a bathroom on the second floor as is, and b) if you can use the existing stack.

(I'm from Ontario!)
G-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Neat. The place we want to convert is actually one of the two walkins on an exterior wall of a detached house. I suppose the floor would need possible modification to makethe subfloor strong enough for tile - but apparently the side wall on the closet is connected to the bathtub-wall of the four piece. We are replacing an old roof - which would give us the ability to add a vent to the existing bathroom as well as easy access to the plumbing vent up to the roof.

The house is about 40 years old now, but wow. I really hope you guys are right about being to tie into the existing :3 would make my mom so happy! I've seen it done on TV - but I don't trust that kind of 'reality'
noctame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
Full time DIY

Rewards Points: 25

Besides modifying the subfloor, there should be an assessment to see if the existing structure can support the weight of a bathroom (shouldn't be an issue, but, has to be assessed) and if not what has to be done. All that should be done during the permit application process.
G-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, plumbing, renovation