Adding A Room, Tie In To Existing Framing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding a room, tie in to existing framing

When a wall intersects another wall, you typically have a post there to nail the new wall to. How about when adding a room? Do I have to open up the sheathing on the outside of the existing structure, and add in the studs to nail the addition to? Can I just nail the new wall to a stud in the existing wall without removing the sheathing? I'm in SC if that helps. Thanks for the help guys!

Boyce

Advertisement

rampeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Usually, it simplifies the process, to remove the sheathing. Why would you want exterior sheathing inside your new room?

Advertisement

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:34 PM   #3

The house has vinyl siding. The sheathing is nothing more than OSB. My plan was to put sheetrock right over the OSB once the structure is dried in. Bad idea?
Old 12-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

Let's revisit the idea again, because I'm unclear with what's going on.

Are you adding a room addition to the house, or making a larger room into two smaller rooms inside the house?

It matters a couple ways, most notably the extent of prep work and stud exposure you'd need to do, and what the appropriate framing will be. Also if an exterior wall is going to be opened up and modified, you need to see if it's a shear wall or not.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:16 PM   #5

The room will be an addition to an existing home. I plan to put a door in (most likely where a window opening already exists) to enter the addition. One wall of the addition will be "common" in other words shared with the existing house. Once the sheathing is removed from the area of the addition, I will put sheet rock right over the OSB. The other three walls of the rectangular addition would be new construction. Wish I had a picture of the existing I could send, or a drawing. Sorry not much with computers, but dangerous with a pen!

Boyce