Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #1

Share |

Adding a room in my basement

Hello all,
I am working on adding a room in my basement. I added a sketch of my basement layout and where the wall will be going.
I've run into a few problems figuring out how to tackle the project and home some of you experienced users can help me out.

First off the ceiling from where i am placing the wall is dropped about 11 inches for the heating and ac ducts. This which leaves me with about 6.55 feet to install the frame including the door. I figured out where the studs are laid out on the ceiling, and my ground has already been finished with a sub floor and laminate artificial wood. The problem is with the sides of the frame. The right left side wall has studs in the typical 16" apart and i measured the stud going to 112" wich makes it 7 studs from the corner. Now when i measure the other side the studs installed are not 16" apart. The closest studs to the 112" mark is at 102" and 118". I though about not nailing that side into a stud but that side is where my door will be attached. How can i fix this? all walls are finished.

Second, i read that i need to build the frame first and then lift it into place nailing the outside studs to the wall, ceiling and floor. If so, how do i attach the 2x4x8's for the bottom plate as the length of the wall will be over 8'.

Added some pictures for reference, not drawn to scale

rotteneggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #2

Is it something like this??
Attached Images

Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #3

I attached some pics of where i want to add the wall, disregard the mess :D

This picture you can see where the frame will go. Also the side that has no stud to attach the frame too

Second image is other side of wall
Old 03-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #4

What is in the wall where there is no stud?

I would suggest you open the wall up and put in the stud(s) you want. Its a little bit of work but nothing to major.

Take off the drywall, measure and fit in the new stud(s), put in some new drywall after your new wall is in.
Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
Aged Sleeper

I think it's a good idea to put walls where you have those black lines.. it seems like an ideal place to put them.
Bken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:44 PM   #6

It appears you want a wall to close off that smaller section.... The heat register will be on the bigger room side, how will you heat it? And ventilate, and possibly natural light (window). Check with your B.D. on this, too be safe. Will it be for storage only? Another bedroom?

Gary
Old 03-17-2011, 11:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastic View Post
What is in the wall where there is no stud?

I would suggest you open the wall up and put in the stud(s) you want. Its a little bit of work but nothing to major.

Take off the drywall, measure and fit in the new stud(s), put in some new drywall after your new wall is in.
I was hoping it wouldnt come to this but its looking like the only option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bken View Post
I think it's a good idea to put walls where you have those black lines.. it seems like an ideal place to put them.
Not sure if serious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
It appears you want a wall to close off that smaller section.... The heat register will be on the bigger room side, how will you heat it? And ventilate, and possibly natural light (window). Check with your B.D. on this, too be safe. Will it be for storage only? Another bedroom?

Gary
Yes, the wall will close off the smaller section which will be a bedroom. The heating/ac vents will be on the other side of the room, i don't think it will be a problem though as the basement isn't too big to begin with.
The bedroom has a small window and the bigger room also has windows for some natural light.
What's a B.D.?

Thanks
Old 03-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #8

Cutting into that drywall to place a stud there isn't that big of a deal, and after you build a wall and dry wall it you might not even have any drywall to deal with from the cutout.
pjordan4477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #9

The new bedroom requires an egress window. Minimum width and height, to equal 5.7sq.ft.; http://www.aacounty.org/IP/Resources...ementGuide.pdf

http://illowaicc.org/uploadedFiles/I...20Openings.pdf

Gary