Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

adding on a room.

i am going to be adding on a 16' x 18' room to a newer double wide trailer home.
i will be going with a flat pitch roof.
the room will be lower than the original home..so you would step down into it.
some questions i have are how many / spacing of the footers do i need for this span?

also should i connect it to the home or leave it floating?
as you can prob. tell im not contractor but i have no problem taking this on myself with a little guidance.
any other tips / ideas are welcome as well.

thanks.

2001kx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

adding on a room.

It depends. What size beams are you going to use? What size joists are you going to use? What spacing will they have? What do you plan on using the room for? I don't mean to be rude, but it sounds to me like you're going to need a lot of guidance. This site is really for folks having occasional questions on their projects and on construction in general. We shouldn't be viewed as a "virtual" general contractor that's going to guide you through every detail of the project. You're going to tackle an addition by yourself but you seem lost at the very first step.

Again, I'm not trying to put you down. I just think you should partner up with someone or hire an engineer to design the addition. I honestly think you might be getting in over your head and I'm trying to steer you in a better direction.

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote