Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

adding roof to existing deck

Question about pricing. My parents have a 20Lx10w deck at a place on the beach. Not right on the water. They have gotten a quote of $35000 for the addition of a roof to this deck.. The guy will have to put some more supports on the existing deck. The house is up on stilts. We think this is a really high price for a roof! Any opinions out there!! Thanks in advance for any help!

sgh36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgh36 View Post
Question about pricing. My parents have a 20Lx10w deck at a place on the beach. Not right on the water. They have gotten a quote of $35000 for the addition of a roof to this deck.. The guy will have to put some more supports on the existing deck. The house is up on stilts. We think this is a really high price for a roof! Any opinions out there!! Thanks in advance for any help!
First, Welcome to the Forum!

I refer you to this post "How much will it cost?" Asking for price estimates here.

with that said do you have construction drawings? if not, how does the builder know what is required to be done? check with your local building department and find out the requirements for this type of project. They will probably require a building permit for this type of project and construction drawings. You do not state where you are located so I'm limited in providing specifics.

wind resistant construction is a challenge when creating a partially enclosed structure such as this, especially on a beach. Wind coming in off the open water can hit with as much as 40% more force than the same wind moving over inland areas. Wind acts not only on the deck and the roof of the structure, but the ceiling as well. It must be properly braced and connections designed to resistance lateral, shear and uplift forces from the wind. The higher off the ground the structure is the more challenges you face. It's similar to designing a sailboat such that when the wind fills the sail it will not move in the water.

I would recommend having a professional engineer prepare construction drawings for your project if you have not already. You can always save the money that an engineer would cost you, and end up with a structure that is not only unsafe, but may fail in a high wind event (storm).

Lastly check with other local builders and get quotes from them. What things cost in one part of the country is not the same in others. Pricing is not one of the valuable services this forums provides ....

Good luck with your project!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"

Last edited by GBrackins; 06-05-2012 at 11:32 AM.
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgh36
Read the sticky about pricing here. It's impossible to give any answers.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

It might be high, it might not be. We don't have the full specs, engineering, plans, materials, etc to even consider making an educated guess. Could be the guy just doesn't want the project so he is bidding high hoping you'll call someone else.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote