Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding on to Ranch style home - where to start?

My wife and I just recently purchased our first home, and it's a 1950's ranch style home. It's got lots of character, but only about 950 sq. ft.

We're looking at adding a master suite to the back of the property, since our lot size is decent (about 7500 sq ft).

The question is, where do I even start? Here is what I was thinking, but let me know if any of this should be changed:

1. Create 3d model of what I'm looking to create in sketchup
2. Apply for permits through the city
3. Get quotes from general contractors

Do I need to get an engineer or architect involved at all? This is new to me, so I'd prefer to know the steps before just calling a general contractor and potentially get taken for a ride...thanks in advance!

Here is a view of the back of the house that we are looking to push out / add on to:

cyberfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,950

No harm with coming up with some drawings so who ever you talk to will have some idea of what your trying to do but let them do the final drawing and let them get the permit. Then it's on them if there a problum not you.
Some issues you may come up againt you add bedrooms you have to go get approval to to it because of the septic.
That's such a low slope roof already adding on is going to make even less slope so you just may have to go with a differant roofing instead of shingles.
(no way to tell from here)
If your house is layed out like mine and I added on to the back I would have to walk through a room I'm already using to get to the back rooms.
Not sure what your budget is but you may want to get some quotes before going to far on this. it's not going to be a cheap job.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the tips!

For the roof, I was thinking to go with a flat or mostly flat roof for the addition, coming off of the existing structure.

As far as quotes go, I'm expecting 75 -100K for something like this, but I could be underestimating it...
cyberfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfire
Thanks for the tips!

For the roof, I was thinking to go with a flat or mostly flat roof for the addition, coming off of the existing structure.

As far as quotes go, I'm expecting 75 -100K for something like this, but I could be underestimating it...
You don't need a flat roof. You just frame a gable roof with two valleys.
mae-ling (05-13-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,078

You should start by having a friendly chat with your local building inspector, find out what code you are on, see if there are any issues you might not have thought about, like zoning, septic, setbacks, lot coverage etc. Once you know the ground rules, you can start playing around with designs, that 3D software should be helpful.

Roofline is very important. You did not state where you live, but a flat roof performs horribly in high wind, and is prone to leakage. I would avoid it if at all possible.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (05-13-2012)